Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Running Start

Happy New Year!

As per tradition, I started my New Year running a 5K race today. I had hoped to break my personal record of 30:02 set on October 1, 2011 but I didn't do it. I finished today's race at 30:31. Bummer. But at the same time... Woohoo! I ran an average pace of 9:49 minute miles for 3.1 miles and was out there running around on New Year's Day! :)

This a pic of me that my husband took after the race. He's my #1 SAG. That's actually a term used in bicycle racing for Support And Gear--the vehicle that follows the riders to provide mechanical and medical assistance, but I'm taking the liberty to use it for any sport I do. ha!

I've been reflecting on my fitness accomplishments in 2011, and I have a lot to be proud of. In addition to going to fitness classes and swimming at the gym, I ran a total of 203.91 miles outdoors and biked a total of 641.1 miles. I did all my biking May through December.

One of my fitness goals last year was to run a 5K in 31 minutes or less--CHECK! Another was to participate in my first triathlon--CHECK! What an amazing experience that was. So much fun and what an incredible feeling to have accomplished something like that. Edited to add [Jan. 3, 2012]: My third fitness challenge for 2011 was to achieve 100 Fitness Challenge "Miles" every month of the year. I reached that goal 9 out of 12 month--No Check. But still kicked some butt this year with my consistency and dedication so I'm not calling this a failure. :) 

My fitness goals for 2012 are similar... with a few tweaks.

A New 5K Personal Best:
Run a 5K in under 30 minutes. I want to see 29:xx:xx on the clock crossing that finish line!

Another Triathlon:
Participate in another sprint triathlon. I'm thinking of the SheRox Triathlon here in New Jersey in July, but I haven't committed.

A Gran Fondo:
Participate in a Gran Fondo, which is a 103 mile bike event. This is a non-timed event, although the particular Gran Fondo I'll be doing does have timed trials on six climbs. My cycling partner and I expect to finish the course in about 7.5 hours. Yikes! It'll take place in September and I'm pretty much committed to it already. After doing so well in the biking portion of the triathlon last year, my cycling partner and I decided to focus our efforts on our strength and give ourselves a little challenge. We've kind of started our training already biking on Saturday mornings. We meet just before sunrise and bike for 20+/- miles, in literally freezing temperatures, attacking some of the toughest hills for cyclists around here. I'm already looking forward to spring when we can put in more miles in some more agreeable temperatures!

I've decided to discontinue the Fitness Miles Challenge here on my blog in 2012. The gals at 100 Fitness Miles Challenge blog, which is now the Get Moving Fitness Challenge are starting things up over there again, so I encourage you to check it out. Of course, I'm not going to stop posting about exercise here and hope to do a Month in Review type post to track my progress in reading, exercise and any other fun things going on, so there will still be opportunities for us to share our fitness adventures here on the happily ever after... 
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


Fitness Mile Challenge Report Card for December 2011: 
If you have any fitness challenge miles from December to share, I'd love to hear how you did! I for one was definitely challenged to meet my 100 fitness mile mark last month, but managed to finish with 100.64 miles. December is such a hectic month, so whatever you managed to get done--pat yourself on the back! If you want to see how I reached those miles, see my December Workout Log.  
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


I've got a few other New Year's Resolutions and goals for 2012 that I'm going to tackle, but I'm waiting to start those tomorrow... because one of them requires getting on the scale. Yeah.. tomorrow's looking good for that. ;)

What are your fitness goals for 2012?

If you don't have one... make one! It'll be good for your body and spirit. 

16 comments:

  1. Good luck on your goals! They sound very do-able. I love your determination.

    I should set some quilting goals. I need to get back to all of those UFOs sitting around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! And congrats on your 5k - I remain massively impressed at how you've achieved your fitness goals.

    Li

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiration! My goal is to run a 5K at least once this year and I really like the idea of a 100 mile month. I'm going to try to hit that all 12 months. I have a bet with my sister on miles ran. Loser buys winner a head of lettuce. Okay,so 3.53 miles logged for 2012 so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed with your running marathons and plans for 2012! As for me, I'm continuing beginner's yoga and hope to get fit that way. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go to the gym more (2 times thus far) and eat healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU ARE AWESOME!!
    I am completely awed!
    I just played wwf all day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year! Very impressed that you're running a 5 km race on New Year's Day and in the middle of winter!

    All the best with your fitness goals for 2012. I...would like to compete in (and complete) a 5 km race. (I'm not going to set a time because I have no idea how long it will take me :) And I'd like to reach my target goal weight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your race! You are SO AWESOME!
    Hmm, I'm not sure how to keep track now if you're discontinuing the Fitness Miles.
    I would like to attend/participate in a public type exercise event.
    I hope you achieve every goal you set for yourself this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummm yeah, i started the year recovering from food poisoning - which I got during my birthday breakfast -and watching tv.

    I think your way of starting was better though!

    Congrats on running the race, I'm sure you'll break your record soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to start the new year right!

    My goal for this year is to get back to exercising. I'm still not at 100% since being sick back in May/June. I want to get a elliptical machine but still shopping around at this point. So I'm starting up walking again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Christine and it's really awesome!! I know you can do 5 miles under 30 minutes!! Go Christine Go! I'll go back at being your personal cheerleader LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Suzie .... thanks for visiting. I take strength training classes at my gym every week to work on my core strength and just started a brand new TRX class today, actually. I agree that having a strong core is crucial to overall health.

    Phyl .... Thanks! Making lists of my goals and discussing my progress here on my blog really helps me stay on track.

    Quilting goals is a good idea. Those UFOs need attention! : )

    Li .... Happy New Year! Aww, thanks for the supportive comment. :)

    BookBelle .... Woohoo! So excited that you're going to train for a 5K this year! You can totally do it! Cute bet with your sister! I typically run 2.5-4 miles two times a week, so it takes a while for me to accumulate 100 miles. 5K races are a perfect distance for me. : )

    Oh, and the 100 mile challenge is a little different than just running 100 miles every month. The 100 miles is an accumulation of actual miles run and time spent doing other fitness activities where 15 minutes of cardio or strength training = 1 fitness mile. I explain it in Fitness Challenge posts on my blog, if you're interested. BUT by all means.. you run 100 miles every month! That would be AWESOME!!!

    Good luck! :)

    Harvee .... Thanks! I have wanted to incorporate yoga into my fitness regime for so long now. Do you go to a gym or yoga school for that or do you do it at home? Good luck to you!! :)

    Dru ... good resolutions! You can do it!

    Gina .... Thank you!
    That's funny... I played wwf with you all day AND ran a 5K. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. orannia .... Happy New Year! xo
    I love doing this 5K on Jan. 1. It makes me feel so accomplished already, you know? Don't be SO impressed by the running in the winter part. I actually prefer running in colder temps over too hot. It was low 40s F [4-5 C] on New Years Day here... this morning I ran in 28 F [-2 C] in snow flurries. ^_^

    As for you... you can definitely get out there and run a 5 K in 2012! Just decide to do it and you will.

    I am counting on both of us reaching our target goal weight this year. This is it! We're gonna do it!

    Brandy .... Thanks, sweetie! And thank you so much for cheering for me on facebook, too! You always make me feel good about myself. xoxo

    I am still going to track my fitness miles on my fitness journal blog. I'm not sure if I'll do the challenge on the blog I mention in my post, but I might. You and I can still compare notes and keep each other motivated, so keep going with the fitness miles. I think it's a good way to track our progress, don't you?

    You should definitely do a 5 K of some kind this year. There are so many that are for people of all fitness abilities. I saw some groups of women at Sunday's race who power walked the whole thing together. It's really YOUR race and no one else's so do your own thing!

    Alex .... Oh NO! Food poisoning? ON YOUR BIRTHDAY? That just sucks. :( I'm so sorry! Are you recovered now? Sometimes that takes days before you want to look at food again. I had food poisoning once and it was awful.

    I have to find another 5K ... ;)

    Leslie .... Thanks! It was fun doing a New Year's race.
    It takes a long time to recover from pneumonia. Having an elliptical at home would be awesome for you!!! In the meantime, walking is a great, low impact start. Hopefully you'll have an elliptical by the time you're ready for something more intense.

    nath .... Happy New Year! xo I am SO going to break my record this year! If anything, I'll be able to do it after I've lost some more weight. I know that is going to make a big difference. Thank you for being my cheerleader!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are such an inspiration! You did so wonderfully this past year.

    My goal for this year is to increase my strength. Am challenging myself to 100 pushups (doable, I think) and 50 pullups (not so doable, but I'm determined to do more than 1, LOL). I've already noticed that the pushups are totally working my core as well, so I feel good about that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good stuff Christine!!

    I know you'll reach all your fitness goals for 2012. :P

    And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You freaking ROCK Christine!!!! You met your goals for last year you've set some amazing goals for yourself this year. I'm so happy that you've stuck with this so well and that it's become a passion for you! The Gran Fondo sounds just plain NUTS! LOL. Of course I'm saying that because I don't even remember the last time I rode a bike! You'll rock it and I'm so happy that you've started training for it already, you'll be ready for it by September I'm sure. :-D

    For me, I just want to start working out daily...doing some cardio and some weight training. Nothing to specific right now in what I'll be doing...some days will be the treadmil others will be workout DVD's or walks/jobs outside...I need variety or I get too bored. :-(

    Awesome job on New Years! I didn't do much that day so I'm happy at least someone was out there keeping themselves fit and healthy!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]