Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Favorites of 2011 {Books}

Plus some random book and reading stats thrown in.

I'm finally getting this post up. I started it in the week between Christmas and New Year's and every couple of days I'd make a few tweaks, add some finishing touch, then get distracted, pulled in another direction, etc. You know how it goes. Anyway, here it is-- an overview of the books I read in 2011 by number, genre and favorites.

My 2011 Random Reading Stats: 
I guess I can't really say I read a balanced blend of male and female authors. I read books by female authors over male authors by nearly 8 to 1. Not that it bothers me in the least and I doubt these figures will be much different in 2012.

Male authors read ........ 9
Female authors read .... 69

I read an even 100 books in 2011 which was exactly my goal.  I worked hard at this in the last weeks of December! Some facts on the 100 books I read:

Books read from my shelves ............ 53
Books borrowed from the library ..... 47

Books published in 2011 .......... 28
Books published in 2010 .......... 27
Books published before 2010 ... 45

Books read by genre: 
Romance............................. 37
           Historical Romance............ 16
           Paranormal Romance ......... 13
           Contemporary Romance....... 8

Young Adult ...................... 15
           Urban fantasy/fantasy/PNR ............. 9
           Contemporary .................................. 6

Graphic novel ................... 14
          "Classics" ........................ 5
           Fantasy ........................... 5
           Non-fiction...................... 2
           Contemporary ................ 2

Mystery/Crime fiction..... 14
General Fiction.................. 9
Urban Fantasy .................. 5
Children's Literature.......... 2
Fantasy............................. 2
Steampunk........................ 1
Memoir ............................ 1

I'm happy with the mix of genres I read last year. I'd like to read more... just MORE of everything in 2012, but will make a conscious effort to read more fantasy and steampunk novels this year.

For anyone who's interested, curious or has nothing better to, you can browse my list of the 100 books I read in 2011 HERE.

Otherwise, keep reading for my list of favorites from 2011.

My favorite reads of 2011:
The titles with an asterisk * were published in 2011.

Favorite 'Aren't You Too Old to be Reading That', a.k.a Young Adult:
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Worth Every Single Tear:
The Story of Beautiful Girlby Rachel Simon
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta


The Best Book Recommendation from a Friend:
The Guernsey and Literary Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows


I would have completely missed this wonderful read had it not been for Amy sharing her copy of this book with so many blogging friends around the world.



Most Compelling Series:
Guild Hunters by Nalini Singh
Psy-Changeling Series by Nalini Singh
     Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh--definitely one of my very favorite reads of 2011.

Smart & Sexy Historical Romances:
Silk is for Seductionby Loretta Chase
The Bastard * by Brenda Novak
    Honorable Mention:
    A Lady's Lesson in Scandalby Meredith Duran

Best Blast from the Past:
The Bride by Julie Garwood

So Good I HAD to Read it AGAIN:
Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh
Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne

Most Heart-Pounding-Edge-of-Your-Seat-Thrilling Read:
Shadowfever *  by Karen Marie Moning

Most Guilty-Pleasure
a.k.a. What IS it about this series that keeps me coming back?
Lover Unleashed * by J.R. Ward

Surprise Favorite Reads:
Elfland by Freda Warrington
The Greyfriar * by Clay Griffith and Susan Griffin
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin
I LOVED all three of these books to pieces. I cannot wait to read more by these authors.

Most Read Author of the Year:
Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb with 8 books
followed by Nalini Singh with 5 books

Favorite Cover Art: 
Elfland by Freda Warrington
A Lady's Lesson in Scandal by Meredith Duran



 


Were any of these books among your favorite reads in 2011?


Here's to a wonderful year full of great books in 2012!

9 comments:

  1. The cover of Elfland is beautiful!

    And YAY for Jellicoe!! I love seein g it on lists, it's such an awesome book.

    And I loved the way you broke down the stuff you read! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex,
      The detail on the Elfland cover is wonderful... it's such a beautiful cover. And importantly, there are elements on the cover that are relevant to the story! It was fun looking at it while I was reading and discovering the connections.

      I KNEW you'd be thrilled to see Jellicoe on my list. I thought of you when I wrote that part up. ;)

      Delete
  2. You did have a fantastic year!

    Some of the books I have seen but others I must have missed. Great recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Felicia,
      I was very happy to reach my goal of 100 books --and so many fantastic reads at that!

      Delete
  3. Wow! It sounds like you had a really great year of reading in 2011. I've been meaning to try Singh for awhile now..2012 will be the year I finally do it :) Hope you have another great reading year in 2012!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Christine!! Oh yes what is it about those darn brothers that just keep you coming back for more of the Blackdagger Brotherhood? I loved the Fever Series, my oh my that Jerricho Barnes!! I haven't read Nalini Singh yet but have hear so many good things about her.

    I too find that I read woman authors much much more than men. No biggie, for me it's am I enjoying this book? Are they a really good author.

    tfs :)

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and I read the same genres, but very different authors! *g* I love the stats you've kept up. I may have to try that as well. Like you, I read more women authors than men, I find male authors to be more dry and technical in their writing. Not to mention I prefer HEA's and males don't seem to think that way. *g*
    I can see why those two covers made your most memorable/gorgeous. They are beautiful pieces of artwork.

    Happy Reading for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on meeting your goal. Here's to a fantastic 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on making your goal Christine!!

    LOL, I didn't look at male vs female authors... but my numbers would be even more skewed than yours ^_^; It's great that you've read so much from the library, Christine! Saved a lot of money there :) And awesome mix! I think all the challenges helped a little :)

    And yay NR and Nalini Singh being the authors you've read the most! :) They certainly deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]