Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Reflections on Week 1: Whole Living {detox} Action Plan

Wow. It's been a week since I last posted. I have so much to share. One of the reasons it was so quiet here is because we went on getaway over the holiday weekend and even though I brought my laptop with me, I barely had any time to blog. But I'll tell more about our trip later. Tonight I want to take the opportunity to share some of my reflections on the detox plan I've been following. I think self-reflection is very important in our every day lives, but even more so when we're being challenged--whether that challenge be chosen or forced upon us. For me, putting my self-reflection to words helps even more. In the case of the detox plan, sharing my experience reinforces its purpose and my goals, which will then help me stay inspired and focused in the next week. Sharing it with you just makes it that much more fun!

If you missed my post last week about the detox plan, you can read about it in my previous post, Whole Living {detox} Action Plan. Basically, this detox plan is a food based plan that is designed to sort of reboot your digestive system by eating only pure, whole plant based foods, allowing your body to cleanse itself of impurities. At first this sounded far fetched. Detox your body? By eating vegetables, fruit and nuts? ... But the more I read about the plan, what to do, how it worked and why it's good for you, the more it made sense and the more I wanted to do it. And now here I am already nine days into the plan!

What do I want to get out of the detox plan?
First and foremost, I want to get rid of the cravings for simple carbs such as sugar and wheat based carbs. Foods like bread, pasta, rice, crackers, chips, cookies and other baked treats. If all goes according to plan, if I'm not reaching for those foods anymore, I'll be able to lose weight more readily. Another goal, which I've come to appreciate more as I've learned more about the chemistry of a body cleanse, is to clear toxins from my system and give me a clean start to healthier living.

How did Week 1 go?
It was tough! I had a miserable headache the first day from just after lunch until I went to bed. I'm sure this was due to caffeine withdrawal. I had lingering, mild headaches on and off for the next couple of days, but by the fourth and fifth days, I started to feel better--and different! Even though I was definitely tired in the late afternoon, I wasn't feeling sluggish or bloated anymore. Just wholesomely tired.

What have I learned so far?
I don't eat until I'm full ... I eat until I'm not hungry. Yes, there is a difference.

I start my morning with a mug of hot water with a squeeze of fresh lemon. Sounds terribly boring, but it is actually quite soothing. The lemon juice triggers your liver to release cleansing digestive enzymes

The detox plan is a restful, healing process. I thought I could do my regular workouts during the detox, but after not feeling so great a couple of hours after a tough workout on Day 3, I finally dug up some information on the plan that said Week 1 is a restful, healing week and vigorous exercise should be avoided. Stretching, walking and strength training is okay, but not heavy duty cardio. Oops.

You actually can stick to this detox plan while you travel. It was exceptionally difficult to do, but I did it with only a few minor infringements. I ordered edamame at a Japanese restaurant on Day 5 and only remembered that I wasn't supposed to have soy until Day 7 after I'd eaten most of the beans. Then on Day 6 I was famished and the only food available to eat were these absolutely delicious Indian snacks made with spinach and chickpea flour, which I ate. Again, I wasn't supposed to have chickpeas or other legumes until Day 7. I also had some sips of regular, unsweetened iced tea, which does have some caffeine. Again, it was what was available and I was thirsty! All in all, not such bad cheats while away from home for the long weekend. I forgive myself.

What do I miss?
Coffee!!! Is it the remnants of caffeine addiction or is it just something I really enjoy? The ritual, the smell, the taste?

Any surprises?
I can't believe that I ate ONLY vegetables, fruit, nuts and olive oil, kosher salt and freshly ground pepper for a week. No added sugar, no grains, no dairy, no meat, no alcohol and no caffeine for the last nine days. Except for a few sips of unsweetened iced tea.

I lost about 3 pounds in Week 1.

What happens in Week 2?
I can't believe today is the end of Week 2 Day 2 already, but it's true! Having come this far, I feel like I've sealed the deal and I'm sticking through to the end. In Week 2, seafood, legumes and organic soy are re-introduced. I'm hoping the addition of these protein sources will give me what I need to pick up the level of my workouts again. I miss running around, jumping, kicking and pedaling!

Here's to healthier, whole living!



For more information about the Whole Living Action Plan 2012, visit Whole Living at http://wholeliving.com/challenge-action .

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on reaching the end of Week 2! You are an inspiration! Here's to the next 2 weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! How are you doing kicking (or reducing) the coca cola?

      Delete
  2. I am on day of something similar (the only difference is they allow a glass of milk with lunch). Day 1 and 2 were tough! Day 3 is a bit easier :) Mine is only a 5 day detox but you are right you do start to feel different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooohooo! Obviously, if you made it this far, you should keep going on ;) I mean, other food are being re-introduced! Aren't you looking forward to it? LOL.

    I wonder if the weight loss will stay off. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the weight loss will stay off. Hmmm.

      That is the million dollar question, nath. Of course, I'm hoping it does... but I wonder if it will creep back when I can eat carbs again. I think the idea is that after 3 weeks on the detox (or bonus 4 weeks), I will have "trained" myself into continuing with clean eating and minimal simple sugars and carbs, which tend to be source of my overindulgence. We shall see... ;)

      Delete
  4. Hey good for you : ) You have much willpower my dear, I'm glad this is working for you.

    I got back on the treadmill and started running again, very short and slow with walking in between. Also got back to weight training as well, here's to health and fitness in 2012 :)

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to hear you're back on the treadmill and running! Wow!

      To health and fitness in 2012!

      *raises mug of herbal tea*

      Boy, do I miss coffee....

      Delete
  5. I'm glad your de-tox is going well for you! You're doing so great at the end of week two! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your detox is going well!
    And you're so strong, I wouldn't have been able to stick to it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. I really don't know where my resolve is coming from! I think once I survived the headaches and hunger of the first 3-4 days, I didn't want all that suffering to go to waste. Ha ha!

      Delete
  7. Wow, just wow! You are rocking this detox Christine! :-) I'm happy to hear that you're sticking with it and about your cheats, I completely agree that you did choose some good things to eat/drink for cheating. 3 lbs already?! Wow. I am getting more and more curious about this detox...I can't wait to continue hearing about it and how you are feeling and what you're thinking! Reflection is a big thing and it helps people like me, who are apprehensive, open our minds a bit more to a change like this. So please keep these updates coming every week!!! :-D You're doing awesome and I also hope the added protein will help pick up your energy and allow you to get back to your work outs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deanna! :)
      I will keep you posted on my progress--in fact, I just posted my reflections on Week 2 late last night. If you're interested in doing this detox in the future, I'd gladly be your support team!

      Delete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]