Sunday, January 29, 2012

RECIPE: Curry Vegetables

I invented this recipe the other night when I was in the mood for something curry flavored to go with the oven roasted salmon I was preparing for dinner. It's very easy to make and you could easily substitute your favorite vegetables for any of the vegetables below. Broccoli, okra, red peppers and mushrooms would taste great in this dish.

Curry Vegetables
To serve as a main dish, add a 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained, with the vegetables in step four.

1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 " piece of fresh ginger, minced
1-2 teaspoons curry powder
1 small cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
2 carrots, sliced
1 potato, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 cup peas
1 tomato, finely chopped
2 tablespoons raisins, optional
salt & pepper
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 cup chopped cilantro, optional

  1. Heat olive oil in a large pan {with a lid} over medium high heat. Add mustard seeds and stir until the seeds start to pop.
  2. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant and the onion begins to look translucent, stirring continuously--about 2-3 minutes.
  3. Add the curry powder and stir for 1 minute.
  4. Add the cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, peas and tomatoes, stirring until the vegetables are coated with the onion mixture and curry powder.
  5. Add 1/4 of water and the raisins, if using, to the pan and immediately cover with a lid. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for 2 minutes. Check vegetable mixture and add more water if necessary, to prevent the vegetables from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the garam masala over the vegetables and put the lid back on. Cook for 2 more minutes or until the cauliflower, carrots and potato are fork tender.
  6. Test for seasoning and add additional salt & pepper, if necessary.
  7. Sprinkle dish with chopped fresh cilantro before serving.

Enjoy.




Weekend Cooking, a weekly blog event hosted by Beth Fish Reads. Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food related post to share--a food related book review (fiction or nonfiction), cookbook review, movie review, a recipe, random thoughts, gadgets, food quotations, photographs, etc. Please visit Beth's blog for more information and join the fun!

14 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and the recipe seems simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore curry. Love. It.

    Unfortunately, nobody else in my house does. Still, I'm bookmarking this for a miracle. Cause, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, make it just for yourself! It's worth it if you love curry.

      Delete
  3. Oh yum yum yum yum yum. I love chick peas! Hmmm, we saute them with califlower and garlic with just a tad bit of seasoning. delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I love chickpeas, too! Your chickpea-cauliflower dish sounds right up my alley!

      Delete
  4. Ohhh, this does sound good! Apart from the raisins :) I can't eat cooked raisins! *grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! orannia, that's exactly why I wrote "optional" next to the raisins. My husband doesn't like cooked raisins either. Actually... he doesn't like raisins at all!

      Delete
  5. Yeah, this sounds nice and warming. I make something similar but mixed into lentils. Now I have a craving. I really love curries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had lots of variations of this type of vegetable dish at Indian restaurants--including those with lentils or mung beans. I could eat them all! I really love curries, too! nom nom nom.. I would have LOVED to eat this with naan, but I was still in the no-gluten stage of the detox-cleanse I've been following. omg naan. I want.

      Delete
  6. This looks so good! My kids love curry with mint yogurt to cut the heat, delicious

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMm, Paula that sounds delish. I get inspired to make mint yogurt in the spring when the mint in my garden starts growing again. Although for you Californians, I suppose fresh mint any time of the year is a non-issue.

      Delete
  7. Looks yummy! Must have smelled divine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nath, it did smell divine and it did taste yummy! :)

      Delete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]