Sunday, January 27, 2013

RECIPE: Qunioa Porridge with Blueberries [vegan]

I've made various versions of this quinoa porridge this past week while in my second week of  the 21-Day food based detox plan featured in the Jan-Feb 2013 issue of Whole Living magazine. The original recipe calls for ground cardamom (I was out) and fresh diced pears. The recipe was good, but I happen to like it a lot better with blueberries being the center of attention.

Adapted from Cardamom-Quinoa Porridge from Whole Living magazine:

Quinoa Porridge with Blueberries and Almonds
Vegan and gluten-free! 

Quinoa Porridge with Blueberries
Serves 2
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or cinnamon
pinch of salt
For each serving:
  1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  1/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  1 tablespoons sliced almonds
  1 teaspoon pure maple syrup or agave syrup, optional
  Unsweetened Pear Sauce, optional

Combine rinsed quinoa, almond milk, water, vanilla, allspice, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover, cooking until most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff quinoa with a fork. For each serving, spoon half of the quinoa into a bowl and top with 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/3 cup blueberries, 1 tablespoon sliced almonds and drizzle with 1 teaspoon maple or agave syrup, if desired.

I had some homemade, Unsweetened Pear Sauce on hand and stirred about 1/4 cup of that into my porridge this morning for added sweetness instead of using maple or agave syrup. VERY delicious!

Do you eat quinoa? What's your favorite quinoa recipe?

1 comment:

  1. I've been eyeing these posts for a while now and glad I finally have a few minutes to comment. I've been wanting to try quinoa for a while but I admit I'm pretty intimidated by it. I think if I do try it will be in the form of something like this--especially since I've been ordered to eat more protein and my steel cut oats don't compare. Could I make a big batch of it and then reheat throughout the week?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]