Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Day 5K

Happy New Year!

For the last four years, I've started my New Year with a local 5K Race called The Hangover Run, aptly named following a night of perhaps one too many glasses of champagne the night before as people welcome the New Year. For me, I just like starting my year with a push.

Running 5K isn't particularly challenging for me--that's the distance I typically run two days a week among my other workouts. But running a race is always a push because I can't just go out there and do it to have fun. Oh I do have fun doing it, but I guess I'm a bit competitive [with myself] and I feel compelled to try to beat my time from my last race and set a personal best. Well, sadly, I didn't do that. I ran 5K in 30:59 [9:58 min mile pace] which is faster than my every day pace, but not faster than I ran it last January [30:31] or faster than my personal best [30:02]. I know I should be pleased with my effort and results, but truthfully, I'm kinda disappointed. But don't worry.. I'll get over it.
Hangover Run 5K
January 1, 2012
Because you know what I'm going to do about my disappointment? Turn it into motivation! I'm going to train more seriously to improve my running time in 2013. Which, I think includes losing some weight and finally reaching my target weight in 2013. I mean.. who wants to run 3+ miles with a 20lb. backpack on? I didn't think so.  So here I am repeating my goal for the last two years to run a 5K in under 30 minutes by the end of the year.

Looking back for a moment...

In 2012: 
I RAN        244.87 miles
I BIKED  1672.43 miles

I SPENT 292.71 hours EXERCISING

THAT'S 12 days 4 hours 48 minutes OF EXERCISE.

Which actually doesn't sound like a whole heck of a lot to me right now. . But if you want to see what I did in all those hours of exercise, feel free to scroll through my monthly workout logs on my fitness journal blog See How She Runs...

So what do I want to accomplish in 2013?
I'm still exploring specific events, but I'd like to do the following: 
  • Run a 5K Race in under 30 minutes. 
  • Bike another Gran Fondo [100 miles] or other long distance bike event. 
  • Do another Sprint Triathlon.  

My first choice is to do the Danskin Tri again, but once again.. it is on the SAME DAY as the NJ Gran Fondo, so I'm not sure what I'll do. Maybe the SheRox Tri in August if it doesn't coincide with our summer vacation. I'll have to see.. 


What are your fitness goals for 2013?

Wishing you all a year of good health and happiness in 2013!

12 comments:

  1. I think your 5K time is excellent, Christine (I'm a lot slower than that), but I understand where you're coming from. Good luck with your goal(s).

    My fitness goals include a full marathon in May and then a 50K run in Sept. to celebrate my turning 50 - 50 at 50!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a runner, but know quite a few people who do... and your time is pretty good I think :) Nevertheless, I hope you achieve your goal of losing weight and running a 5K under half an hour!

    The bf would like to start running (and maybe I'll add some jogs to my workout too) and *gasp* give the HIIT hit Insanity a try. Personally, I'd like to deepen my yoga practice and achieve handstand by the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love running! Wish we had more 5k events around my area! Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals! I love the idea of a Hangover Race -- even if most participants aren't, in fact, hung over. I imagine a scheduled 5K on January 1 would make most people think twice about how much champagne to drink.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, you totes make me feel ashamed of myself. LOL I spent Jan first with cake hangover playing Mari Bros 3 :P

    But, as always, I'm in awe of you. I hope you have a great year ;) and that you get to do all of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm going to aim to get somewhere in touching distance of your 5 km time :) I'm guessing there were hills? *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say running any distance is an accomplishment :) Congrats on running it at all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I'm so impressed with all of your motivation and accomplishments especially when it comes to running :) I'm just hoping to actually participate in a few 5K races this year because it would be the first time in years that I actually did. I'm also just focusing on learning to run again because it has been WAY too long. Good luck in all of your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet... Thanks! I run a slower pace if I'm going out for a longer distance and actually I usually run a 10:15-10:45 min mile when I'm just running to run. I always seem to find some extra adrenaline on race day. I'll keep trying to break that 30 min 5K!

    Wow! Those are some serious running goals you've got. I love the 50K when you turn 50. That's going to be fabulous!!! Good luck to you, too! :)

    Chinoiseries...Thanks. I guess my pace is decent.. I placed just slightly above average for my age group and for all the women. I shouldn't complain. ^_^

    I love your yoga goals! I think those are good things to focus on this year.. physical and mental, both encouraging calmness. I like that. Good luck.

    Sadie... Thanks for the visit! Have you tried searching for 5Ks in your area using the active.com website? Maybe there are some not too far that you don't know about?

    Joy... I had this 5K on the back of my mind for several days and would you believe I only decided to do it about 2 hours before the race started?! LOL! It's the truth! I was laying around in bed until almost 10 am and finally thought, "why not?" I figured I'd regret not doing it in the end.

    Alex .. LOL! Would it make you feel better if I told you I came home and had a plate of hot appetizers for lunch and then spent the rest of the afternoon on the sofa?

    orannia ...Actually, the course was mostly flat. I checked my stats on Runkeeper.. the course had an elevation gain of only 195 ft or about 60 m. So yeah.. pretty flat. ^_^ I'm pretty sure you won't have too much trouble running my pace.

    Crystal ... Aw, thanks. :))

    samantha.1020 ...Thanks. I guess I've just gotten to the point where daily exercise is just the norm for me. It's a good place to be. Good luck with your running goals this year. I know you can do it! I also know it's tough when your kids are young to make time for yourself, but it's good for them to see and know you are taking care of your health. I bet they'd LOVE to cheer you on at a 5K. How exciting to see Mommy in a race, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you achieve your goal for 2013 - and sounds like you're super motivated to do it :-)

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look up to you for inspiration! One of these days I want to run in a 5k, or at least try one! *g* (We have a new years day race here, too at the local Y. It's called The Hair of the Dog.) Since I can't lose weight for ANYTHING and I kept a food diary for two years with no luck (I stuck to it, too.) I'm still watching what I eat, just not so obsessively. Maybe that's where I went wrong- keeping to a machines diet instead of my own. My goal is very small and simple. I want to lose 5lbs. and become certified in CPR. What comes after that, I don't know, but I can hope!
    I'm so very proud of how much you've accomplished. I have no doubt you'll do great again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christine, happy new year...I hope it will be a great year for you, your family and your friends.
    Congratulations on your running...I can't even go for a long walk without being bored and tired, so I envy you the discipline. I wish you a great running year as well.
    ****

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]