Thursday, January 24, 2013

Haruki Murakami Reading Challenge 2013

I have one more reading challenge to share. This will be my third year participating in this challenge. In 2011, I read After the Quake, a collection of three short stories by Haruki Murakami. I enjoyed it, but thought it was too small of a sampling of Murakami's writing to truly decide if I was a fan of this popular Japanese author. So I signed up for the challenge again in 2012, intending to read Sputnik Sweetheart, but the closest I came was to borrow the book from the library on December 20th! Alas, here I am ready to give it another go in 2013.

Host: tanabata
Link: Haruki Murakami Reading Challenge 2013
Time Frame: January 1 - December 31, 2013
Challenge: Read one or more or all [sign up for different levels] of Haruki Murakami's books in 2013.

I am going to challenge myself to read one, but I'm hoping to read two. Sputnik Sweetheart and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, the latter chosen largely because I found a reader who is hosting a read-along later this year. I welcome the motivation to read this one with a group since it is a long one at 607 pages.

The No Stress, No Fuss, Read-Along of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami hosted by Ti who blogs at Book Chatter.

It will take place April 1 - May 5, 2013.

The twitter hash tag for the group read will be #winditup2013.

Visit the Read-Along sign up post at Ti's blog HERE for more info and to sign up!

Have you read any books by Haruki Murakami? Which is your favorite?


Books read to date:
1. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
2. Sputnik Sweetheart 


  1. I am in for the Murakami challenge too ;) Since Wind-Up counts, I might as well join in! I plan to also read Wild Sheep Chase (hopefully).

  2. Ti I saw your name over at the challenge page. I was going to suggest you join if I hadn't. ;)
    Looking forward to the read-along in April.

  3. While I'm not up to joining the reading challenge as until now I don't remember hearing of the author, I WILL be looking up the books you've mentioned!

  4. Glad to have you participating in the challenge again this year. The Wind-up Bird Chronicle is one of my favourites - have fun with the readalong. I've been meaning to re-read Sputnik Sweetheart so I might have to fit that in this year too. Happy reading!

  5. Good luck with the challenge!

    OT - just about to dive into an In Death book! *nervous*

  6. When are you going to read Sputnik, Sweetheart?
    Like I said before, I only read one by him, South of the Border, West of the Sun and I enjoyed it. I think you'd like to read it too, it's not very big either.

  7. Brandy If you look up Murakami's books and you think you may be interested, let me know. We can read one together. :)

    tanabata I will let you know when S. and I decide to read Sputnik Sweetheart. I might be able to be convinced to host a read-along, but I don't want to promise anything!

    orannia Thanks! And Woohooo for diving into an In Death Book! I'm hoping to read Promises in Death VERY soon!

    S. I thought of you when I wrote this post and cannot believe we never read Sputnik Sweetheart last year! We WILL make it happen in 2013. Do you have a preference when? Ti (see above) is hosting a read-along of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle April 1 - May 5, so I would prefer any month but April or May. I'll need my romance fixes in between. ;)

    1. Ha! I thought you'd remember, we talked about it after all :)
      Well, what about march? If not, then june...I guess it would allow you more time to set up things if you want to do a read-along! Just count me in for that one! :)
      Only next month is not good for me, I already have a huge list for february.

    2. S. Let's plan on June! I'm literally putting a reminder on my calendar for this!!!

    3. It's settled then! I'm also putting the book under june in my monthly lists!


Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]