Thursday, January 24, 2013

Haruki Murakami Reading Challenge 2013


I have one more reading challenge to share. This will be my third year participating in this challenge. In 2011, I read After the Quake, a collection of three short stories by Haruki Murakami. I enjoyed it, but thought it was too small of a sampling of Murakami's writing to truly decide if I was a fan of this popular Japanese author. So I signed up for the challenge again in 2012, intending to read Sputnik Sweetheart, but the closest I came was to borrow the book from the library on December 20th! Alas, here I am ready to give it another go in 2013.

Host: tanabata
Link: Haruki Murakami Reading Challenge 2013
Time Frame: January 1 - December 31, 2013
Challenge: Read one or more or all [sign up for different levels] of Haruki Murakami's books in 2013.

I am going to challenge myself to read one, but I'm hoping to read two. Sputnik Sweetheart and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, the latter chosen largely because I found a reader who is hosting a read-along later this year. I welcome the motivation to read this one with a group since it is a long one at 607 pages.

The No Stress, No Fuss, Read-Along of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami hosted by Ti who blogs at Book Chatter.

It will take place April 1 - May 5, 2013.

The twitter hash tag for the group read will be #winditup2013.

Visit the Read-Along sign up post at Ti's blog HERE for more info and to sign up!



Have you read any books by Haruki Murakami? Which is your favorite?


*** CHALLENGE COMPLETED JUNE 2013 ***

Books read to date:
1. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
2. Sputnik Sweetheart 

10 comments:

  1. I am in for the Murakami challenge too ;) Since Wind-Up counts, I might as well join in! I plan to also read Wild Sheep Chase (hopefully).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ti I saw your name over at the challenge page. I was going to suggest you join if I hadn't. ;)
    Looking forward to the read-along in April.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I'm not up to joining the reading challenge as until now I don't remember hearing of the author, I WILL be looking up the books you've mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to have you participating in the challenge again this year. The Wind-up Bird Chronicle is one of my favourites - have fun with the readalong. I've been meaning to re-read Sputnik Sweetheart so I might have to fit that in this year too. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the challenge!

    OT - just about to dive into an In Death book! *nervous*

    ReplyDelete
  6. When are you going to read Sputnik, Sweetheart?
    Like I said before, I only read one by him, South of the Border, West of the Sun and I enjoyed it. I think you'd like to read it too, it's not very big either.
    ****

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brandy If you look up Murakami's books and you think you may be interested, let me know. We can read one together. :)

    tanabata I will let you know when S. and I decide to read Sputnik Sweetheart. I might be able to be convinced to host a read-along, but I don't want to promise anything!

    orannia Thanks! And Woohooo for diving into an In Death Book! I'm hoping to read Promises in Death VERY soon!

    S. I thought of you when I wrote this post and cannot believe we never read Sputnik Sweetheart last year! We WILL make it happen in 2013. Do you have a preference when? Ti (see above) is hosting a read-along of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle April 1 - May 5, so I would prefer any month but April or May. I'll need my romance fixes in between. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I thought you'd remember, we talked about it after all :)
      Well, what about march? If not, then june...I guess it would allow you more time to set up things if you want to do a read-along! Just count me in for that one! :)
      Only next month is not good for me, I already have a huge list for february.
      ****

      Delete
    2. S. Let's plan on June! I'm literally putting a reminder on my calendar for this!!!

      Delete
    3. It's settled then! I'm also putting the book under june in my monthly lists!
      ****

      Delete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]