Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Library Loot LXII

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries! 

I'm starting the new year with a nice, thick stack of books from the library--just how I like it. I got these several days ago and can't wait to dive in.

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

For the Group Read I'm hosting. Please join us!


The Life of Pi by Yann Martel

January's Book Club pick. Have you read it or seen the movie?

Smitten Kitchen by Deb Perelman

I've flipped through all the recipes.. I want to make everything. Next I'm going to read every page.

I had been on the hold list for Rod Stewart's new Christmas CD, Merry Christmas, Baby at the library since around mid December and finally got the call the other day that it was in. I debated whether or not to I still wanted and then thought why the heck not.. it's Rod Stewart singing Christmas music! I really like the CD, by the way. Very soothing but fun at the same time.

 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

While I was at the library picking up the Christmas CD two weeks after I really wanted it, I decided to look for The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin--the book I'm considering reading for Joy's New Year's Resolution Reading Challenge, thanks to the idea by Vasilly (http://classicvasilly.wordpress.com/). I grabbed said book and then promptly proceeded to pull a whole bunch of books from the self help section into my arms, as well as some food & health related books and a cookbook in a different aisle. I'm pretty psyched to read through these books over the next couple weeks and hope they inspire me to live more fully, happily and healthfully in 2013. Here's what's in my stack:


Pictured above from top to bottom:

Don't Sweat The Small Stuff for Women by Kristine Carlson
A Short Guide to a Happy Life by Anna Quindlen
A Complaint Free World by Will Bowen
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
Food Matters by Mark Bittman
This Is Why You're Fat (And How to Get Thin Forever) by Jackie Warner
Superfoods: The Healthiest Foods on the Planet by Tonia Reinhard

And finally...
A Year Of Pies by Ashely English

Because while I am all for thinking, living and eating for optimum health, I still plan LIVE. And therefore... eat pie. :)

Have you read any of these books?

Which, if any, of these books interest you?

16 comments:

  1. I love that last line about still planning to live, therefore eat pie! Excellent!

    I loved The Happiness Project - Gretchen has a fabulous blog and you can sign up for a morning 'pick-me-up' that comes through e-mail (a great way to start the day). I'm also loving The Winter Sea (looking forward to the discussion). I won't say anything about The Life of Pi (saving that for if/when you do a post about it) and, no, haven't seen the movie.

    Great library loot, Christine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet! I will check out Gretchen's blog. I've only gotten as far as the preface, but I love her voice already.
    I'm so psyched you're reading The Winter Sea already! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so many books, I hope you enjoy them. I can't wait for your reviews and I hope you like the Rod Stewart CD. I've heard some of his Christmas songs and I like them :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the Happiness Project and Food Matters is why I had cabbage salad for lunch today (so good!).

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the stack for your resolution challenge. I look forward to hearing how they inspired you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I must be one of the few people who doesn't want to see the movie or read the Life of Pi...

    And I think my neighbour is reading The Happinness Project :)

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your books look interesting. But, have to say the pie book looks like the one I'd be most likely to read. (Though I don't make pie. *g*)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just picked up The Winter Sea from the library as well so I'll definitely be participating in the read-a-long!!! And I love a good stack of books too (in fact that is exactly what I went and did this evening). Now I just need to write up my own library loot post :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you have some good ones lined up here. I had Smitten Kitchen checked out of the library and there are some great recipes in there. I also have Food Matters on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sister is nagging me to read The Happiness Project and I have told her that I have started it so I am going to have to read it soon.

    Enjoy your loot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many great books! I love Susanna Kearsley, can't wait to read The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (having loved Deb's blog for years), and found The Happiness Project very positive (duh, right?) and enjoyable when I read it. Enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Smitten Kitchen continues to show up on everybody's lists. I also heard an interview with the author on NPR and that made me want to check the book out even more! Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice, Christine :) I think I do have Winter Sea. Need to look for it and perhaps I can join! But no promise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm, pie! Can't wait for those recipes! :-)

    I want to read The Happiness Project too, need to add that in somewhere.

    And The Smitten Kitchen, I so so so want that book!

    I loved The Life of Pi - make sure you don't give up in the first half, there's a lot of philosophy and stuff but it's worth pushing through. I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been lusting after Smitten Kitchen as well. I'll be honest, though, that her post are so long that I rarely read through them but her pictures are just so gorgeous. You'll have to know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry I'm so late getting back to all of your comments. I had this post scheduled the day before it actually went up and I don't know if some of you so my post from the day before this one, but my father-in-law had just passed away. He lived with us so we could take care of him, so even though he was old and lived a good, long life, it's been tough losing someone so close to us. Anyway, thanks for checking out my library loot post and leaving all of these lovely comments. I read each one as they came in my email inbox and you all gave me a pleasant distraction from grieving. xo

    Alex The Rod Stewart Christmas CD is very nice! I only listened to it once, being January already and all, but now I know what to play in December!

    Joy I haven't gotten far in my non-fiction reading. Actually it's been a slow reading month all around for me. But I still want to read these so I'll just keep renewing them as long as I can!

    I eat raw cabbage in my salads all the time and sauteed cabbage is a favorite among my daughters, 13 and 17! They love it!

    LindaThanks! I need to pick up the pace and read more of them. I've only read one of the tiny books so far.

    orannia The Life of Pi has been on my tbr list for a while. It got voted as this month's book club pick. Yet I voted for a different book. LOL. I'm still going to try to read it, but Mariana couldn't finish it. She said she kept falling asleep. LOL!

    Brandy The pie book is really good! There's several recipes I'd like to try, but probably won't yet because I'm still clean eating right now. Maybe in the summer I'll borrow it again and make the nectarine-plum tart. It looks amazing. There's also a few savory pies included. Yum-yum!

    samantha.1020Yay! so glad you're going to join The Winter Sea Group Read!! I'm starting the book tomorrow or Saturday.

    PierceOh I am LOVING The Smitten Kitchen cookbook. I really love her writing voice.. I feel like I'm a friend sitting in her kitchen. I'm considering buying it. I was lucky and no one else was on the holds list so I got to renew it! :)

    Marg I think I might skim through The Happiness Project. I'm not a big non-fiction reader, although I'm trying!

    naysue Thanks for mentioning the npr interview with Deb Perelman (The Smitten Kitchen). I think I'm going to try to hunt it down on their website. She's got a lovely writing voice and her attitude and approach to food and cooking.. I think I'd like to hear her interviewed.

    nath I hope you find time to read The Winter Sea!

    Joanna The pie photos are drool worthy! I hope you can get your hands on The Smitten Kitchen cookbook. I'm enjoying it. Also, thanks for the tip on The Life of Pi. That seems to be what a lot of people are saying!

    Trish Deb Perelman is less verbose in her cookbook than she is on her blog, so I think you'd really enjoy it. Borrow it from your library before you decide to buy it!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]