Thursday, January 1, 2009

Favorite Books of 2008

Happy New Year!

Reflecting on the books I read in 2008, I've come up with a list of my favorite novels and some honorable mentions. My three most favorite books are highlighted in BLUE.
.................................................................

Favorite Young Adult novel:
Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Honorable Mention:
Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (paperback released in 2008)
..................................................................

Favorite Historical Romance:
The Duke of Shadows by Meredith Duran

Honorable mention:
The SpyMaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne
..................................................................

Favorite Paranormal Romance:


Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione

Honorable Mentions:
Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Veil of Midnight by Lara Adrian
Dark Desires After Dusk by Kresley Cole
..................................................................

Favorite Contemporary Romance:
Blue Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas

..................................................................

Favorite Urban Fantasy novel:
Iron Kissed* by Patricia Briggs

*This UF series also features my favorite heroine of 2008, Mercy Thompson.

Honorable Mention:
Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews
Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs
..................................................................

Favorite Sci Fi Romance:
Wanderlust by Ann Aguirre

Honorable Mention:
Grimspace by Ann Aguirre
..................................................................

Favorite short story:
"Alpha and Omega" by Patricia Briggs
On the Prowl Anthology


18 comments:

  1. I haven't read any on your list!!! Arrrgghhhh! However, I do have Grimspace and Spymaster's Lady in the TBR. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Christine!
    Mercy is awesome! (Note my avatar to right, its from the upcoming Mercy Thompson graphic novel--->)

    Man, I'm seeing Meredith Duran and Larrisa Ione popping up on so many lists, I'm going to have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice choices!!
    The Hunger Games was my favorite YA of the year also. It still lingers with me.
    Mercy Thompson is friggin' awesome I cannot wait for her new book.
    Some of the books on your list I have in my TBR pile and some are ones I have to look into.
    Here is to another year of reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read three on your list. The Duke of Shadows which I absolutely loved, Blue Eyed Devil which, well, come on it's a LK book so of course it rocked, lol. And I read the Larissa Ione book.

    The others I will definitely have to give a look-see.

    I hope you had a wonderful New Year celebration, Christine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pleasure Unbound was my favorite too Christine.

    Great list, Lara Adrian's books are also a favorite for me.

    Hope 2009 is a wonderful year for you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I can't wait for Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs! LOVE Mercy, and am SO happy that she's finally made a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There it is...Blue Eyed Devil again!

    I'm reading that this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome list!

    Everybody loves that pleasure unbound. It is totally going on my buy list. And hold on, you put Duke of Shadows above SPYMASTERS LADY? Gasp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I tried to read Duke of Shadows I don't think I was in the mood for a historical. I need to go back and finish it. And I really want to read Hunger Games, heard good things about that book.

    Happy New Year, Christine!

    P.S. I started a Contemporary Challenge. I know you said to let you know if I went through with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome list, babe.

    Oddly enough, I haven't read even one of the books on your list. *ducks*

    ReplyDelete
  11. May I suggest one to try, if you ever enjoy fantasy and romance? "Outcasts Of Skagaray" can be previewed free if you read the sample chapters on www.threeswans.com.au My blog is http://threeswans.blogspot.com if you feel like visiting. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year Christine! Ohhh, great list! I just loved Blue-Eyed Devil and Iron Kissed. And I can't wait to read Bone Crossed...and Hunting Ground! More Anna & Charles (and Bran :) please!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Iron Kissed and Cry Wolf both made my top five!

    I have Spymaster's Lady and Blue Eyed Devil in the TBR. I should move them up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for checking out my Favorites list of 2008, everyone! Of course, if you haven't read the books I listed, I wholeheartedly recommend you do! I absolutely LOVE Mercy Thompson and that whole world. I can't wait for the next books!!!

    I'm happy with the books I read, although, as usual, I wish I had read more this year! I always seem to have a few very productive months reading ... and then quite a few in which I only read one or two books the whole month! ... I gotta do something about that!

    Carolyn Jean:: I LOVED The SpyMaster's Lady--the historical spy story was really fantastic. I think I just enjoyed the romance in The Duke of Shadows more. And it was more "angsty" and emotional, so it tugged at my heart more. ;)

    Brie:: Awesome! I'm signing up for your Contemporary challenge. I'm even reading one now... Stranger by Megan Hart. It's so good, too. I love Megan's work.

    Thanks for all the comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list, Christine. I've read most of them and should probably check out the others. Thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great list Christine. You have some great books on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your list. Meredith Duran's The Duke of Shadows turned out to be my second favorite read this year. Thanks for recommending it back in December! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Taja :: Yay! I'm so glad to hear that one of my recommendations made a top spot on your favorite list! Imagine how awful I'd feel if you hated it! LOL

    Thanks for checking out my favorites list, everyone. I hope that if you decide to check out any of the above mentioned books per my recommendations that you enjoy them as much as I did!

    Happy Reading! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]