Saturday, October 22, 2011

The NJ RWA Literacy Signing

The New Jersey RWA Conference is being held this weekend at a venue not too far from me, and this afternoon was the literacy signing fundraiser to support local literacy organizations. I couldn't pass up the chance to meet some lovely authors and buy a few signed books, so I headed over. This conference is no where near the scale of the national one held in New York City back in June, so I was able to take my time and chat a bit with some of the authors as I went around the room, which was great. I shared how I came to learn about their books, which of their books I've read and enjoyed, how they affected me, that sort of thing. It was really nice.

The first author I visited was KT Grant, a.k.a. katiebabs a.k.a. Kate. Kate and I have been friends for several years now, having first met online on JR Ward's message boards back in 2007. Today, Kate participated in her first ever author signing where SHE was the one signing copies of her book, Sweet and Sinful, available in paperback now.

Congratulations on this milestone, Kate! :)

I was so thrilled to learn that Kristan Higgins was going to be at this conference. She is one of my most favorite authors and I missed out on seeing her at the National RWA author signing in June. So I was particularly thrilled to be able to meet her today.

Kristan Higgins' next book is Until There Was You, and will be released on Tuesday, October 25, 2011. That's just a few days away--look for it!

Other lovely authors I met and their books I purchased:




  

Laura GriffinSnapped
Caroline LindenOne Night In London
Lisa DaleSlow Dancing on Price's Pier
Rachel GibsonAny Man of Mine

Brenda Novak Inside, Book One in her Bulletproof romantic suspense series. She's so friendly--we spoke fondly of our friend Phyl who donates a hand made quilt to the online auction Ms. Novak hosts every year to benefit diabetes research.

Ms. Novak also has an historical romance coming out soon, titled The Bastard-- her very first release in this genre. The book will be offered in ebook format only on November 1, 2011, but I believe it may become available in print by demand. It sounds great!


Have you read any of these books or other books by these authors? 
I'd love to hear!

13 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was a literacy signing in NJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read books by Brenda, Laura, Rachel and Kristan and I enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great event! One of my favorite authors was there, too, and she won the Golden Leaf award for The Orchid Affair...Lauren Willig. Did you get a chance to talk to her? She's wonderful with her fans and has been very nice every time I've had a chance to catch her at a signing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read Kristan Higgins before and a Brenda Novak.
    Sounds like you had a fun time! Glad to hear you were able to meet and enjoy talking with so many of your favorite authors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww (blushes).

    I'm glad you had a good time! And a historical from Brenda? I'm all over that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so awesome to see you again! I don't look too high in a picture for once. haha. I was so nervous. It was a fun time meeting and talking with so many great people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I’m so jealous! I love Kristan Higgins, Brenda Novak (had no idea she was releasing a historical romance, thanks for the heads up), Laura Griffin and Rachel Gibson. I haven’t read anything by Grant (although I do enjoy her blog), Linden or Dale, but since they are in such great company I’m guessing they must be great as well, so I’m adding them to my TBR pile.

    Fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome books! And I'm so glad you had such a good time at the event:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like a great time, Christine! I'm sorry I couldn't join you. :( Hopefully next year.

    I can definitely recommend Lisa Dale's books. I've enjoyed all of them so far, including Slow Dancing on Price's Pier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dru: I should have told you about it! So sorry! The NJ RWA Chapter hosts their annual conference and book signing every year around this time in Woodbridge, NJ. I'll make a point to mention in next year in advance.

    I'm excited to read the new romantic suspense books I got from Novak and Griffin. I haven't really read much in that genre.

    Joanne: I DID see Lauren Willig at the signing, but I didn't stop by her table. This is another example of why I should have mentioned the signing on my blog before I went and not after!!! I would have picked up one of her books upon your recommendation! I did notice she was very friendly and upbeat, chatting with readers who stopped at her table. I'm sorry I didn't stop now..

    Brandy: I adore Kristan Higgins' books. Adore! Inside will be my first Brenda Novak book. If I don't read her upcoming historical first, that is!

    Phyl: Brenda spoke very highly of you and your incredible quilting talent when I explained how I came to know of her Silent Auction for Diabetes Research. She told me to tell you she says "hello." :) I am getting her historical too! I think I'll probably read it before I read Inside. My book pile is HUGE right now.

    Kate: You look great in the picture and you didn't seem nervous at all at the signing. Very professional and approachable. xo

    Brie: All of these authors were so nice. I know that's such a blah word... but it's true. Very friendly, eager to chat about books or whatever, really. I'm really looking forward to digging into these books!

    Alex: Thanks! It was a fun little jaunt. ;)

    Hilcia: It would have been fun if we could have gone together with Mariana and Natalie, too, but it was such a busy weekend for everyone. Maybe next year!

    Lisa Dale is so sweet--she was on my list of authors to see because of your recommendation. I'm looking forward to Slow Dancing on Price's Pier!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read the Laura Griffin and the Rachel Gibson. They are both great.

    Sounds like you had a fantastic day!

    And oooh, Brenda Novak has a historical coming out? Interesting. I adore her RS, so will also try the historical as well! (And true - Phyl rocks with the quilts.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really cool, Christine! Sounds like you had a very nice time and I imagine, being able to take time to talk with authors instead of rushing around was awesome! I'm jealous because I didn't get to meet Ms Higgins either at RWA :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great time! Lots of good books too. I really like Laura Griffin - Snapped was a favorite of mine. :)

    I've been meaning to read more from Kristan Higgins and give Lisa Dale a try. And I need to catch up on Rachel Gibson's series.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]