Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fitness Challenge Report Card: March 2011

Interested in joining the Fitness Challenge? Please visit the Sign Up post for more information, including the challenge rules. You may leave a comment there or on this post if you'd like to join. Be sure to include your fitness miles goal in your comment.

So how did everyone do with their fitness challenge miles* this month?

*ONE fitness challenge miles = 1 mile walked or run for fitness OR = 15 minute increments of other exercise for fitness such as cardiovascular or strength training exercises.

I met my goal and then some. My goal was set for 100 fitness miles and I came in at a whopping 143.25 fitness miles. Crazy.

I spent the most time in spin class and strength training, but also spent a lot of time doing the MelB workout at home on the Playstation Move, kickboxing, swimming, bootcamp and Zumba at the gym and running at the park. I'm looking forward to getting out there on my bicycle again, but waiting for temperatures to break the 60 F mark. Unfortunately, it's been pretty cold lately and in fact, we're expecting 2-4 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. Gah!

The swimming is going okay. I joined a local Tri-women group and am attending a swim clinic on Sunday hoping to get some more instruction and coaching to improve my stroke and breathing techniques. I'm a little frustrated with my lack of endurance swimming consecutive laps. I'm still pausing every 2-3 lengths for maybe 30-60 seconds before continuing. Oddly, my heart rate isn't even that elevated when I feel I have to stop (I've worn my heart rate monitor in the pool a couple of times). Maybe it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice before I can just swim, swim, swim.

I'm going to set my fitness challenge goal at 100 fitness miles again for April. If I break 100 miles again, I'll bump up my goal.

How did you do with your fitness challenge goal for March?

What activities are you doing to keep moving?

I hope you all join me again next month! :)

Thank you all for participating. If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know. :)

6 comments:

  1. I managed 83 so far, but I haven't exercised yet today and plan on attending Cardio/Agility tonight so that would bring it up to 87. I surpassed my goal, but not as much as I would have liked.
    I think you're stopping because endurance in the water takes time. Daughter has the same issue and it was pointed out to me that she needs to be swimming at least three times a week.

    I'll set my fitness mile goal for April at 80-again. I'm having a lot of trouble with energy and tired muscles lately so am doing as good as I can right now.

    I hope you have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right. I need to swim more often. Now that my lessons are over, I've been going on Saturday mornings, but this week I went at 6 am on Tuesday. I'll try to go at least twice a week and see how I do.

    I think you're doing great with your monthly goals, Brandy! Just listen to your body. I talk a lot about challenging ourselves and pushing harder, but it's just as important to listen to our bodies and know when to back off or take a break.

    You're doing great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did amazing Christine! You're right - 143.25 is crazy. Good for you!

    March proved to be a let down for me. Spring break totally messed up my schedule, basically I didn't do any workouts for that week. Then it was hard to get back into it. The lesson I learned - don't take any breaks or I'll loose the motivations.

    Total fitness miles - 45.

    I'll set my April goal for 50 and hopefully try to surpass it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leslie! :)
    I agree! Breaks can mess up your momentum--especially if the break lasts more than a day or two. I need to have a plan in place for exactly when I'm going to get back into it and what I'm going to do. Then I won't argue with myself when it's time to get back to it because it's like I made plans with myself that I can't break.

    Good luck with April!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go you! I'm with Brandy, the more you swim the better your endurance will be. It's not that you're not fit, it's just that you require a different sort of fitness.

    All the best with April :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to make a point to swim a minimum of twice a week. Three or more when the outdoor pool is open and the days are longer. Hopefully that time will come soon, but this has been a looong winter...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]