Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Library Loot LII


Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries! This week's Library Loot is at ???

Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman 
I'm reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman right now and really enjoying it--both the storyline and Gaiman's style, so when his novella Odd and the Frost Giants popped up under a search for books of Norse mythology, I decided to give it a go. Of course, it helped that my library had it on the shelf. Odd and the Frost Giants will likely be my mythology book for the Once Upon A Time VI reading challenge, although if time permits, I may seek out another one. Especially since this one is a middle-grade book. I don't know very much about Norse mythology, so I'm curious. I only know very, very little. Basically what was mentioned in the recent Avengers movie. :P

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell 
I am reading this one on the recommendation of nath and then Leslie, ames and Brie. I saw it in the new release section at my library several weeks ago, but have such a long queue of books I want to read right now so I decided to wait on it. But then I saw it again today and noticed it has this red sticker on the binding with B & T on it. I finally asked the librarian what that means and learned that books that have that sticker are only in my library's catalog for a specific period of time before it is sent to another library. So I decided I'd better borrow this one while it was still available! So Attachments is about two women who are officemates and exchange personal emails throughout the day, chatting and gossiping and a man who is hired for internet security to monitor emails within the company. He starts falling for one of the women based on her emails. Sounds like a fun read!

B & T stands for Baker & Taylor and I think they're kind of like a library that lends books to libraries (or other organizations) for fees that would be smaller than it would be for my library to buy those books. Anyone else know more about it?

Of course I had to check out some new cookbooks while I was there.



Chole's Kitchen by Chloe Coscarelli
A vegan cookbook by Chole Coscarelli, winner of Food Network's Cupcake Wars. Lots of variety in this cookbook with easy to find ingredients that many home cooks already have on hand.

Easy Thai Cooking by Robert Danhi
We just love Thai food in my house. I quickly thumbed through this cookbook at the library and saw several recipes that I might try. Best for cooks who have access to an Asian market as many of the ingredients--especially the spices--are Asian-specific. Some large supermarkets these days have well stocked ethnic food aisles, too. The author also took the time to explain ingredients and basic Thai cooking methods, which is always appreciated when approaching a new cuisine on your own!

Reel Cuisine: Blockbuster Dishes From The Silver Screen 
by Nami Iijma
I saw this little cookbook mentioned on someone's blog not too long ago during Weekend Cooking and thought it sounded so fun. I was excited to see it in my library's new book section. Of course I had to borrow it. It was originally published in Japan in 2009 with a translated copyright of 2011. The recipes aren't necessarily overly impressive, but the cookbook is such a cute concept and would make a great gift for the movie buff in your life who also likes to cook. There is a recipe for Crème Brûlée from one of my favorite films--the french film, Amélie. I might just have to make that one 'just because'! And if you haven't watched Amélie, I suggest you do!

What books, if any, do you have out from your library? 


What are you reading?

17 comments:

  1. I need to read more Gaiman. Enjoy your loot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I got Attachments too!
    Well the audio book - I don't know how sometimes I end up with the oddest Audiobooks people loan me thinking I'll like them ;P LOL

    I hope it's good!

    And Reel Cuisine sounds awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Attachments out from the library at the moment too! Have heard lots of good things about it! I will need to read it in the next couple of weeks or so. If you are reading it at the same time we could do a joint post or something if you are interested?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a fun haul. I might have to try the Thai book -- we've recently found a restaurant we like, but I haven't tried making it at home. I love the Reel Cuisine concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What interesting cookbooks you find! Reel Cuisine that sounds like one I'd love to look through : )

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been meaning to read Attachments ever since I first read Ames' review. I must get it! Can't wait to read your thoughts. It sounds like great fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You find the most interesting books. I can't wait to see the pics of the receipes you cook up. They always look sooooo drool worthy. :D

    Attachment sounds great. I'm so putting that on my list. :D

    I read a lot of actual Norse myth/legend as a kid, but for the life of me cannot recall any titles or authors off the top of my head. Sorry. -_-

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love books based upon mythology. I'll have to look up the Gaiman book. Right now I have several books from the library in an eclectic assortment (some YA's, some fiction, a humor book, The Bloggesses memior, etc.) . But, two cookbooks are the new Martha Stewart which is arranged by region and the Pioneer Woman you featured a week or so ago.

    The Reel cookbook sounds cute!
    Hope you have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're reading Attachments!!!! *dies* You must tell me how you like it, once you're done sent me a tweet or something so we can talk about it... Your friends have good taste ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda.. Which Gaiman books have you read? I want to read more, too.

    Alex.. We'll have to compare notes on Attachments when we read it! It's only a two week book from my library, so I'm going to read it soon.

    Reel Cuisine is great, but I'm truthfully not familiar with most of the movies mentioned in the book!

    Marg.. A joint post on Attachments sounds great! I'll email you when I'm reading it. I started late last night, but was so tired I fell asleep after maybe 10 words.

    Joy... I have made Pad Se Ew at home from a recipe I found online and it came out surprisingly well. That's my kids' favorite Thai dish. Now to see if I can make my husband's fave--Massaman Curry! :)

    luv46kdz... Look for Reel Cuisine at your library and tell me what you think!

    Hilcia... I can't wait to share my thoughts on Attachments. Looks like a lot of folks are interested in that one!

    little_alys.. I think the pics of the recipes I cook up are sometimes better than they taste! LOL

    Hope your library has Attachments.

    All I know about Norse mythology is that Asgard is where the gods live and Thor and Loki are brothers. THAT'S IT! Hopefully I'll learn more..

    Brandy.. I love an eclectic assortment of books! You gotta be prepared for whatever mood strikes you, right? Oh! I am waiting for my library to get the new Martha Stewart one. I like regional cookbooks! And YAY! on getting the Pioneer Woman one! Let me know what you think! :)

    Who is The Bloggess?

    Hope you're having a great week, too! xo

    Brie ... Oh yay!!! I hadn't realized you read Attachments too! I'll definitely hit you up for a discussion. :) And OF COURSE my friends have good taste! They are MY friends, after all.. ;) lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Neverwhere, it's the only Gaiman book I've read though, and I look forward to reading more. I've heard American Gods (I think that's the title) is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay on Attachments!! I hope you enjoy it Christine! And good thing you have a curious mind and asked a librarian what the sticker meant! Hopefully, you can squeeze it somewhere in your busy schedule :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good golly! You haven't heard of The Bloggess? She's an uber popular blogger who appeals to a lot of different people. She's introverted (to the point of panic attacks), has RA, suffers from depression at various points and yet maintains this weird humor that somehow you can relate to. As for the Pioneer Woman cookbook? LOVE IT! I'm dying to try the tortilla soup recipe (even though it's pretty warm here right now. I don't want to wait until winter.) Not to mention the Coffee Cream Cake. Daughter was drooling over that recipe. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tanya Patrice... Neverwhere is the only Gaiman book for grown-ups that I've read so far, but like you, I'd like to read more. And yes--American Gods. I've heard that's great, too. I have Stardust on my shelf somewhere.. and I'd like to read his Sandman graphic novels that I've seen at the library.

    nath... I will let you know about Attachments. I started it last night and like it so far. But I'm going to focus on Cold Magic first, I think, because it is a book club pick and I don't want to be the last one done and missing out on the discussion questions. lol!

    Brandy... Ooh! I had not heard of her before until just recently when I saw people tweeting their excitement that she'd be speaking at the Book Bloggers Convention in NYC in early June right before BEA (Book Expo of America). I just googled her and went to her blog and see that she's just published a book and guess what?? My library just got that memoir and I read the blurb last week and thought it might be one I'd like to read! ha!

    Glad you are liking the Pioneer Woman cookbook. That Coffee Cream Cake did sound fabulous. Let me know if you make the tortilla soup!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great books!

    I haven't been to the library in ages! Kind of off library books ATM, but the next JR Ward book is coming up fast on my hold list, so...

    ReplyDelete
  16. orannia... I can't wait to read your rant of Lover Reborn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh I hope you enjoy Attachments. I really enjoyed that one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]