Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter to all my peeps! I hope you're enjoying the day whether you celebrate Easter, Passover or nothing at all this time of year. Easter Sunday has always been a reminder to me of the hope and joy that spring brings as everything in nature begins to come to life again around now. Although you wouldn't guess it this particular chilly, gray day here in the NY metro area.

My apologies to those of you who already follow me on instagram. All of the photos in this post come from there except for one.

crocuses
rhubarb
We've seen snowdrops and crocuses blooming over the last several weeks and while the daffodils have been sending up green leaves, I haven't seen any blooming yet in my neighborhood. I did spot the rhubarb crowns in my garden pushing up, so there is that! I'm hoping to have enough for a strawberry-rhubarb tart later this spring.  Do you like rhubarb? 

I don't have a lot of memories of Easter celebrations from my childhood, although I do remember dying Easter eggs with my family the day before Easter for an egg hunt in the morning. I have vivid memories, however, of one particular Easter Sunday that we spent at my Oma and Opa's house. I remember an Easter egg hunt in their backyard, where eggs were hidden among the long, long rows of white and yellow daffodils lining their vegetable garden fence. I think it was one of the only outdoor Easter egg hunts of my childhood and for that alone, it stands out in my memory. Well, that and that it was spent at my Oma and Opa's house on Eastern Long Island. It was a special place. :)

As an adult, I have colored Easter eggs the evening before Easter, too, ever since I was living on my own. In the beginning, it was just my husband and me but of course our girls have participated every year since they were born even if just as a spectator on our laps when they were babies. Now at ages 14 and [almost] 18, they still color Easter eggs and hunt for them in the morning. This year, the girls hid the eggs for my husband and me to find. What a fun change of events!

I have to say, our egg decorating gets more and more creative every year. Here is a photo of a creative egg that my oldest made last night:
A Mike Wazowski Easter egg
It's Mike Wazowski from Monsters, Inc.! Ha!

She also made this one that she calls her "galaxy egg." I love it!
"Galaxy Egg" by Maria Alba
photo credits: Maria Alba
I filled the girls' baskets with jelly beans, robin eggs [malted milk balls], marshmallow peeps, a peanut butter egg, a few Dove coconut creme filled chocolate eggs, a chocolate bunny and a Starbucks and iTunes gift cards. Lucky bunnies!
Yummy Easter basket
What's your favorite Easter basket treat?

What are some of your Easter food traditions? 

Not exactly a #WeekendCooking post, but I'm linking it up there anyway because it is somewhat food related and I'm anxious to break my very long Weekend Cooking hiatus! It's been way too long since I've participated..

Wishing you all a wonderful day! xo
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Weekend Cooking, a weekly blog event hosted by Beth Fish Reads. Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food related post to share--a food related book review (fiction or nonfiction), cookbook review, movie review, a recipe, random thoughts, gadgets, food quotations, photographs, etc. Please visit Beth's blog for more information and join the fun! 

Note: your post does not have to be posted on the weekend, but do visit Beth's blog over the weekend to link up your post. 



11 comments:

  1. Love that "galaxy" egg ~ I noticed it off to the side of the pic you put on Instagram!
    Loved reading your egg hunt memory too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fun eggs made me smile this morning. And I can't wait until our farmer's markets open and I can buy garden-fresh rhubarb. Such a sure sign of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the egg-decorating tradition. I stopped coloring eggs when our eggs came to us already beautiful in natural blues, greens, and every shade of brown and cream. I think I have to do it again though as my daughter now thinks brown eggs are "Boring".

    I love rhubarb. We are having a difficult time thinking Spring as our snow is just ever so slowly disappearing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter! I love rhubarb, have great memories from my childhood that involve rhubarb (I ate from gardens so I didn't have to go home, I was too busy playing in meadows, creeks, exploring).

    I hope you had a lovely day - I have been baking, etc.. and actually posted today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you had an absolutely GREAT Easter, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine ... Isn't that galaxy egg awesome? She made it by adding a few drops of vegetable oil to the cups of vinegar-food coloring-water mixture and dipping them in each one in a row. So clever.

    Beth... I agree! Fresh rhubarb stalks shout spring is here! Tasty, too.

    Peaceful Reader ... I love the diversity of naturally colored eggs. From where do you get your eggs? A local farm or homestead? I usually have brown eggs in my fridge so I had to go out and buy two dozen white ones just for this.

    I hope your snow melts quickly and you are surprised by green and growing things already happening under that blanket of white!

    Mari ... What lovely memories you must have. And a love for healthy foods, I might add! I visited your blog.. my goodness you guys have been SUPER productive!

    azteclady ... Thank you, dear! I hope you did too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are great eggs! Sadly the whole Easter Egg thing hasn't really caught up here - here it's all religious and going to church and no fun, other than ODing on meat on Sunday - but I did sneak a lot of chocolate when into the cart when we went grocery shopping

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky bunnies, indeed. Happy Easter, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that is so cool, Christine! Egg hunt!! LOL. Not surprisingly, we don't celebrate Easter in my family... but I do appreciate the long week-end I get out of it! :) When we were younger, my sister and I would want to paint eggs... let just say my mom wasn't a fan of the idea LOL.

    Ohhh, my sister wants to make rhubarb crumbles this summer! We'll definitively be getting some :) You grow it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well since we moved to cali, my hubs makes my grandpa's pepper bread. It wouldn't be Easter without it. I make my grandma's cookies. These are things that transport me to my childhood :)

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kids abhor eggs so we dot dye them or hide them. I do remember dying eggs and hiding them to find at my Grams every Easter with all my cousins. Your girls and my kids baskets are quite similar, though Daughter received lip gloss and polish and Son received a car and a card game. (Their birthdays are on either side of Easter so we tend to make them low key.) I remember using hats instead of baskets one year and an umbrella for Daughter the year before Son was born.
    Hope you and yours had a lovely Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]