Tuesday, June 21, 2011

RWA in NYC: Who's going?

I love this logo for
the RWANYC
Chapter.

The RWA (Romance Writers of America) National Conference takes place in NYC next week, which includes a literacy book signing event open to the public on Tuesday to which I'm going. It's a romance readers evening night out to buy some books, support the literacy movement and connect with some favorite romance authors and fellow romance readers, too.

The RWA "Readers for Life" Literacy Signing is a book sale and author autographing event at which thousands of dollars are raised for ProLiteracy Worldwide and the local literacy organization ACE New York. The event will be at the Marriott Marquis ballroom in Times Square next Tuesday, June 28, 2011 from 5:30 to 7:30 pm. A couple hundred romance authors will be at the signing with only two hours to navigate the crowds and probably wait in long lines for a minute of time connecting with some of these wonderful women who have not only entertained me, but often also touched my heart in special ways through their stories. Of course, I also have a list of  'new-to-me' authors whom I've been wanting to read, so I'm going to try to see some of those authors, too.

I've been going over the really long list of authors attending [you can view the list HERE] and have come up with a short list of 53 authors to see. Yes, a short list. I'm trying to figure out how in the world I'm going to get to everyone in such a short amount of time and I'm thinking it's not likely. So I'm working on prioritizing my list of 'must see' authors, and let me tell you, it is NOT EASY. I do know one thing is certain...
I am NOT LEAVING without meeting Nalini Singh who is the New York Times best selling author who writes the wonderfully complex and amazing Psy-Changeling and Guild Hunters paranormal romance series. I am such a fan. She is not allowed to leave Manhattan until we meet. lol!

Another very favorite author of mine who I must see is Tessa Dare. I just LOVE everything about her writing and am impatiently waiting for her next books.

Megan Hart is also at the top of my must see list for this signing. Her books are in a league all their own--sexy, brutally honest, emotional and immensely thought provoking. She is a master of pushing the envelope in the romance and women's fiction genres.


I also look forward to meeting Kristan Higgins who writes really fun, honest and emotional feel good contemporary romances. I love all of her books.


The list goes on to include SO MANY other authors! I won't bore you with my lists. ;) Some authors I have been reading for years, some I have only read one or two of their books and yet others who have been on my 'I want to read this author / this series' radar for anywhere from a few months to a few years. So many authors, so little time! It's going to be crazy, but so much fun!

I am EQUALLY EXCITED--if not more so, to meet fellow romance readers and book bloggers whom I have gotten to know over the years who will also be there. I'm planning to arrive at the Marriott before the signing to hopefully bump into some friends then, and I'll hang out for awhile afterwards as well. Wendy, The Super Librarian--who has been named RWA's 2011 Librarian Of The Year!--has initiated a Blogger Bash at the Atrium Lounge in the Mariott after the literacy signing to encourage romance reader blogger author editor publisher etc. mingling--such a great idea!

Who else is going?
I'd love to meet up with you, so let me know if you'll be there so we can look for each other!

Also, have you ever gone to a past RWA Literacy signing?
If so, do you have any suggestions for how best to navigate the ballroom with my author list?


:)

19 comments:

  1. You know I'll be there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, it is going to be a fun evening! :)

    KB, yes! And looking forward to seeing you. With your author hat on, no less! :) btw do you happen to know if Meredith Duran is going to be there? I don't see her name on the list. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it's going to be amazing. I hope you have tons of fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex! I wish you didn't leave SO FAR away so that you could be there next week, too. It would be so awesome to tackle this signing with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christine! Yes, I am taking a vacation to NY with my family and it coincides with the RWA conference! I am attending the literacy signing while my husband takes the kids to a broadway show, so I have the evening free! Yay!

    Joanne @ Books, Belles & Beaux

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joanne!
    That worked out really well with vacation plans coinciding with RWA! Lucky you! It would be great to meet you there. I think we should wear name tags. LOL!

    I just briefly visited your blog, too. It's beautiful! I guess I know to look for your by the booths of the historical romance writers? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't go this year. So sad...

    I wanna go too and see you again.

    Have fun for me though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christine: Meredith is not going this year :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting my blog Christine! I guess I was so excited to find another blogger that was attending that I forgot to mention the authors I'm hoping to meet! Deanna Raybourn, Susanna Kearsley, Diana Gabaldon, Lauren Willig, just to name a few. Really, every author there sounds fantastic! A Real Treat to have them all in one place! Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ack! I think I might cry! I'm not going (have never been to NY, either) and Jayne Castle/aka Jayne Ann Krentz is going to be there! (And Thea Harrison and Karen Rose and Jill Shalvis.........) *sigh* Have fun! Are you going to take pictures to share? Pretty please?

    Um, I had to play with the link to see the list of authors attending the signing.

    I hope you're having a delightful day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You lucky duck. Not hitting NYC this year but have a blast, sounds like so much fun!!

    Paula
    Tomes Devotee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like the most amazing event to be at! Hope you have fun (and get to meet Nalini :)

    One day I'll get to go...and hopefully meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, Christine, you need to send me your list. Perhaps that way, I won't have to make my own? Or at least, I'll have a start LOL!!

    53 is cutting it down a lot, considering there's > 500 names :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never been to a Literacy signing. I have been talking to Nath about attending but still not sure I'll be able to make it. I think I should just let my hopes go since it's only a few more days away...

    ReplyDelete
  15. little_alys, well, RWA will be back in NYC again in 2015, I think. Save your pennies!

    Dru! I'm so excited you're going, too!! I wasn't sure if you were because I know you mostly read mysteries, but everyone needs a little romance now and then, right? I'll see you Tuesday! :)

    Brandy, I know! But don't cry. One day you will come to NYC, visit with me and Dru AND go to one of these fun conferences. You know... RWA Nationals will be in NYC in 2015......

    I will DEFINITELY take pictures to share. I'm going to try to tweet while I'm there, too.

    Fixing the link... thanks.

    Paula, Thanks! :)

    orannia, I WILL meet Nalini. LOL! It will be loads of fun.. wish you were going to be there, too. One day... xo

    nath, I'm going to email you my author list. I still need to sit and prioritize and then alphabetize the prioritize... 53 in 120 minutes is not gonna happen, though... maybe 20 is more realistic?

    tabz!!! You should TOTALLY come! I know it's so much harder to get away from work and get into the city on a weekday, but if you can swing it, why not? Can you get the train to NY Penn from where you are? Or you can drive to Metro Park Station in NJ then take the train to NY Penn from there. Just an idea. Again... there's always 2015. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joanne, that's okay! I guessed Deanna Raybourn and Diana Gabaldon were on the top of your author list based on my visit to your blog! I have Deanna Raybourn's Lady Gray series on my "MUST READ" list. I'm kind of hoping she has the first book in the series at her booth, but usually the authors just have their latest.

    I'm seriously considering wearing a name tag so friends approach me ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll be there! :D

    Oh boy... I only placed 18 authors on my list! I was trying to keep it to the bare minimum... but 50? Christine! I'm looking forward to Elizabeth Hoyt, Madeline Hunter, Jennifer Crusie, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Jill Shalvis, Thea Harrison, Carolyn Crane *g* and well... quite a few others... ;P

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]