Sunday, August 11, 2013

An Asian Adventure

I'm going to try to squeeze a little bit of info about every place we visited in this post, but I'm also going to post about all the food tomorrow otherwise this post would be even longer than it is--which already took me days to put together, and I don't want you to get bored. Plus food is fun and deserves its own post!

Our trip to Asia was a full 16 days during which we flew 7 times in all from beginning to end. Yes, seven. It was a little nerve-wracking. And overall pretty exhausting, but definitely worth it. As you may or may not know, my husband is Filipino so we've been planning for years for the right time to visit the Philippines so I could experience his homeland and also so our daughters could experience from where half their heritage comes (he immigrated to the US in the 70s and was naturalized shortly thereafter). We decided this was the year to do it since the girls are old enough to appreciate and remember this trip but not too old that we couldn't force them one more time to go on a long family vacation. So that's how our 2013 Asian Adventure vacation came to be. Huge kudos goes to my husband who planned everything about this trip from start to finish. He uses TripAdvisor for a lot of his research on hotels and things to do, in case you were looking for tips on planning your next trip. The only thing I did for this trip was secure a house and pet sitter, schedule the bills and make sure we all got the vaccines and medications we needed before we left.

Our first two flights were from JFK airport in New York to Narita airport in Tokyo, Japan (flight #1) where we switched planes and continued on to Manila, Philippines (flight #2) for a total travel time of 19 1/2 hours not counting the three hour delay in JFK before take off. What a long day! We got picked up at our house at 10 am on Saturday July 20th and landed in Manila after 11 pm on Sunday July 21st. The time difference makes it look worse than it was, but we still lost a day somewhere in there.
Ready for take-off!
Photo by: Maria Alba [Maria Alba Photography]
This trip to the Philippines was my husband's first time in 39 years to return to his native country since he immigrated to the US when he was a young boy. Most of our time spent in Manila and a neighboring suburb was for him to reconnect with his childhood and visit with cousins and second cousins. It was so nice! The first day, we walked from our hotel to the church where Gabe's parents were married in 1961!
Gabe's parents were married here in 1961.

Gabe's second cousin (the daughter of his first cousin?) met us at our hotel and walked with us to Rizal Park in Manila, which is dedicated to the Philippine statesman and martyr, Dr. José Rizal, a pacifist who spoke up against the Spanish during their occupation and was later executed by them. Rizal's execution actually sparked an even stronger rebellion from the Philippine people which became the beginning of their revolution against Spain. Very interesting!

Rizal Execution Memorial
0 km marker
Manila, Philippines
We then met up with more of this cousin's family and we enjoyed their hospitality and company immensely as they drove us around Manila to Fort Santiago and a local restaurant for lunch.

A photo given to Gabe by his cousin.
This photo was taken just before my husband
and his parents immigrated to the US in 1974.
I love this photo!
Fort Santiago is a museum and public park that showcases a stone fortress that was built at the turn of the 17th century! Many parts of the fort are crumbling, which only added to the reality of its history, having sustained tremendous damage in WWII when it was occupied by the Japanese and reclaimed by American and Filipino forces at the end of the war. Sadly, hundreds of American prisoners of war died in this fortress from suffocation or hunger while being held in extremely tight quarters in the dungeons before the liberation from the Japanese. This was also the time of the Manila Massacre during which Japanese forces committed atrocities against the civilians of Manila resulting in the deaths of 100,000 innocent people. Horrific.

Exploring Fort Santiago with family
and an armed guard!

Multigenerational cousin portrait
The following day we visited places that my husband lived when he was a child, his schools, his parents' places of work and so on either in Manila or the nearby urban suburb Quezon City. I think visiting these places was more sentimental than he expected!
My husband's childhood home 40+ years ago!
That evening we visited with another set of cousins for dinner, which was so fun. We hadn't seen them since they visited the US many years ago! Spending time with my husband's relatives was the highlight of the Manila area to me.
Little cousin love! xo
The sight seeing was nice, but honestly, I was a little overwhelmed or unnerved by the constant stares from people (we really stood out) and vast extent of poverty seen everywhere throughout the city. So many sad images are still swimming in my head. If I were a good journalistic photographer, I would have taken photos to show you, but instead I was absorbing it all and lost in thought..

The most popular public transportation in the Philippines, or at least in Manila, is by jeepney. Jeepney are WWII US Military jeeps that have been converted to small passenger buses. The are covered, but have permanently open side windows and the back is completely open as well. In fact, that is where passengers climb on and off the jeepney!

A jeepney in Manila, Philippines
The back of a jeepney
in Quezon City, Philippines
We then flew from Manila south to another island in the Philippines to Dumaguete City (flight #3). The airport was so tiny! One runway and a small two room building for the terminal. One room for arrivals and one room for departures. We walked across the runway from the plane to the terminal. A far cry from JFK airport in NYC! This is the city where Gabe's father (and all of his 13 siblings) grew up. It's a much, much smaller city than Manila and I guess with fewer people it felt a bit more socio-economically balanced. Our hotel was right on the sea and we were treated to some serene yet pretty spectacular views. The sunrise.. oh my goodness.
Sunrise from our hotel window - NO PHOTO EDITING!
Dumaguete City, Philippines
July 2013
I had to post another one.. so beautiful!

So serene.. 
coconut trees!
Someone told me that Dumaguete City is the motorbike capital of the Philippines and I am not surprised by that claim at all. By my observation, 95% of the people get around by motorbike or motorbike tricycles and 5% drive cars. Motorbike tricycles are made up of motorbike that is rigged with covered seating for 2-4+ people over a third wheel. Kind of like a rickshaw attached to the side of a motorbike. No one wears helmets at all there.. not on regular bikes or motorbikes. Most people wear flip flops riding motorbikes whether they are driving or a passenger. Entire families ride one motorbike.. a child between the dad and the handle bars, mom on back and a baby in between mom and dad with just an arm around the baby. Sometimes I saw ladies sitting side saddle on a the back of a motorbike holding a baby with one arm. I'm not kidding. My heart was in my throat the whole time, I felt sick. Oh and to make it more heart stopping.. there are only a handful of traffic lights in the entire city. I never saw a single stop sign or yield sign or pretty much any other traffic sign aside from those few traffic lights. Vehicles just approach an intersection and go, weaving around everyone going in different directions honking at pedestrians to get out of the way.. even at elderly people shuffling across the street! SO FREAKING CRAZY! We had no choice but to hire a tricycle taxi thing twice.. fortunately with all four of us as passengers we made the darn thing heavy so the driver just couldn't go fast. I think it forced him to be more cautious, but still.. I won't mind if I never ride one of those things again!
family transportation 
Tricycle Motorbike Taxi

riding a tricycle motorbike taxi
I posted two videos of us riding these motorbike taxis on my instagram account. I think you can watch them HERE and HERE.

We spent part of a day at a local beach which was relaxing but very hot. It wasn't quite as clean as I expected.. it seems no one cares about picking up any trash in the public area, which was so sad to see. We walked along the beach to the waterfront of a resort and it was much nicer. The resort grounds were pretty and well kept but pretty empty, probably because it's the middle of the school year there now. We ordered snacks from the resort's outdoor restaurant right next to a gorgeous pool. It was very relaxing!
Photo by Christine Alba
Editing by Maria Alba
Later we bought an umbrella in Dumaguete because we needed shade protection when we were walking around. We ended up using it on our whole trip and even bought a second one in Tokyo. We also carried around folded fans to fan ourselves. It was that hot!

The next day we spent some time visiting my father-in-law's college, Silliman University, where staff there still knew some of my husband's younger relatives! We also visited the cemetery where my husband's grandparents are buried. It turned out to be touching for all of us, especially since the inscription on their tomb mentioned grandchildren and great-grandchildren, which then includes Maria and Anna. I'm glad they felt a connection to the Philippines and the family that lived there.

On our last day here, we hired a driver to take us further up the island where we hired a boat to take us dolphin watching. We were the only ones to book the tour that day, so we had the boat and the crew to ourselves! I felt kind of spoiled, but it was pretty nice letting the day flex to our own schedule without having to wait for other tourists for anything on the boat. Before we set out, the tour guide took us to a market where we bought food for lunch that the crew prepared for us right on the boat!

Heading out to see for dolphin watching!
We saw a lot of dolphin swimming alongside our boat and all around us.. but it wasn't easy getting that National Geographic shot! It was quite thrilling to see these beautiful animals in their natural habitat doing their own thing but also being curious enough about humans to come closer and take a look.

Photo by Maria Alba [Maria Alba Photography]
Anna felt seasick- feeling dizzy and queasy but she held it together. She napped a bit on the boat as we left the open sea with the dolphins and headed for a sandbar to swim. This sandbar is in the sea pretty far from land, but check this out... there are cottages on pilings that you can rent!
Cottages for rent in the middle of the sea!
So pretty, right? During low tide, these cottages sit on their own little sandbar beach! We swam around the boat for a little while (water was only chest deep here..not low tide) and eventually got out when we started to get stung by invisible jellyfish tentacles that were coming in with the tide. Ouch.

The boat then took us to a mangrove forest. The boat docked at this little hut and we walked a long boardwalk from the sea into the mangrove forest. It was so still and quiet except for the sounds of bugs, a few birds and water lapping up along the pier and the sound of our feet on the boardwalk.

Walking through a mangrove forest.

How a mangrove forest grows.. see the little seedlings?
Later that night we had dinner at Gabe's cousin's house. This was my first time meeting this family and of course, we adored each other right away. ;) They prepared a lot of food for us!

The following day we flew from the tiny airport in Dumaguete City to Cebu City in the Philippines (flight #4) and then from Cebu to Hong Kong (flight #5). Only two more to go. eep.
walking to our next plane..

boarding our plane. eep.
Hong Kong is a magnificent city with amazing views! First of all, we stayed in the YMCA Hong Kong while we were there. Definitely nothing like my YMCA at home aside from the smell of pool chlorine in the lobby. It was a busy place but the hallways and rooms were very quiet and well tended. Also, the breakfast buffet was fantastic! So yummy!

YMCA Hong Kong!
The YMCA Hong Kong is a little fancier
than my YMCA at home. yeah...
We were only in Hong Kong two days. We walked along the harbor and took in the sights, went shopping in Sham Shui Po area (mostly electronics stuff), took the tram to Victoria Peak for spectacular views of the city during the day and night and visited a beautiful, tranquil shrine in the middle of Kowloon. We loved it and would have spent more time here, but it was almost unbearably hot. There are a few other sites we longed to visit but we didn't have enough time.. at least now we know what to do first thing when we come back!

Keeping cool.

Hong Kong Harbor

Avenue of the Stars tribute to Bruce Lee

Skyline view of Hong Kong from Victoria Peak

Dramatic black and white of Hong Kong
from Victoria Peak 
High-end shopping in Hong Kong
Love the red taxis
Shopping in Sham Shui Po

The beautiful and serene Nan Lian Garden
Hong Kong

Next we flew to Tokyo, Japan (flight #6) for the final phase of our Asia vacation. Japan was so nice and I learned so many new things while visiting. Our hotel was lovely.. very comfortable and while it was compact, it was still simultaneously efficient and luxurious. The shower was wonderful and the electronic toilets were.. adventurous! Quite a contrast to the squatting public toilets in Japan, but both are actually very sanitary. Enough of this TMI topic! ha ha!

On our first morning in Tokyo we struggled a bit to figure out how to use the subway because everything was in Japanese writing (not romaji which is the romanization of Japanese words) and no one in the stations spoke English! My husband's Japanese audio course was still tremendously helpful throughout our whole trip, though! Eventually we figured it out and bought our daily subway passes, found a subway map with romaji words for the stops and were on our way! By time we used the subway a second time, we were pros. Honestly, the Tokyo subway is actually way easier to use than NYC subways! I'm not kidding.

Our first tourist attraction in Tokyo was the Senso-ji Temple, the which is the oldest Buddhist temple in Tokyo having been completed in 645 CE and is dedicated to the Goddess of Mercy. It's quite famous.. maybe you've seen pictures of it before. There are lots of little shops and booths selling food and souvenirs along the path between the gate and the shrine. It was very crowded and very hot, but we had fun buying little gifts for friends there and snacking on food. Of course, we also visited the shrine and other buildings there and learned about the dedications and prayer customs.

Kaminarimon - The outer gate to Senso-ji Shrine
Some cute girls dressed in harajuku style passing out flyers for which I could not figure out.. I couldn't decide if it was for something racy or not..

Dressed up harajuku style
One night we took the subway to the Roppongi Hills area of Tokyo which is a popular, kind of high end shopping area and went to the movies!
Photogenic skyscraper in Roppongi Hills
We saw Monsters University; it was in English with Japanese subtitles. There's a new Hayao Miyazaki movie in theaters there titled The Wind Rises (translated), which would have been our first choice, but since it's only in Japanese that wouldn't have worked well for us. ;) Here's the movie poster, though:

The Wind Rises
Studio Ghibli Movie
Can't wait for it to come to the US!

Are you familiar with Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli films? Maybe you've heard of Spirited Away or My Neighborhood Totoro? Those are probably his two most popular films in the US. If not, get yourself to the library, Netflix or AppleTV and watch one! So good.

Speaking of films, have you seen Jiro Dreams of Sushi? It's a documentary on this man named Jiro who is supposedly the best sushi chef in the world. It costs a small fortune ($300 US per person) to eat at his small restaurant that is located in the Ginza Station in Tokyo. We found the restaurant and saw him sitting at a table waiting for his next customers! It's kind of funny, but we were pretty excited. Check it out:
Sukiyabashi Jiro
"Jiro Dreams of Sushi" Documentary
Food critics best sushi in the world!
By the way, in case you think it's strange that there is a high end sushi restaurant in a subway station, it's not that strange in Japan. Several of the big subway stations are host to some pretty fancy shopping store from fancy bakeries, clothing, perfume, handbags, and more. It's like a small mall. Pretty interesting.

We also visited the East Gardens of the Imperial Palace, which I have to say were not very impressive at all. Only one small area near a pond was well taken care of and nice to look at. Everything else was just plain and not even weeded well. Now you know not to waste your time going there.. visit something different instead.
East Gardens of the Imperial Palace
Tokyo, Japan
The next day we ventured a bit out of Tokyo city to Mitaka where we had tickets to attend the Studio Ghibli Museum! Again, this probably means nothing to you unless you are familiar with Hayao Miyazaki's films. We had so much fun visiting this little museum even though the plaques at all the displays were in Japanese only so we probably missed out on some small details. Oh well.. we still loved it. There were Totoro signs in the town pointing pedestrians from the train station to the museum. So cute. Photos were not allowed inside the museum so I don't have much...

Walking to Studio Ghibli Museum 
Almost there! 

We made it! See the big Totoro in the window! 

Posing with a statue of a soldier from Laputa
From "Castle In the Sky."
Vine covered Studio Ghibli Museum
Photo by: Maria Alba [Maria Alba Photography]
Little bits of whimsy and magic everywhere
at Studio Ghibli Museum
Mikata, Japan
Photo by: Maria Alba [Maria Alba Photography]
In our attempts to spot Mt. Fuji from somewhere in the city, we ventured to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building (TMG) where we learned there is 360 degree observation deck at the top of both towers that is open to the public for FREE! This was an awesome travel tip from to my blogging-instagram-Japan loving friend In Spring it is the Dawn! {Thank you so much!xo} Unfortunately it was way too hazy so visibility was low and we couldn't see very far. Still, we had some nice views of the cityscape from there.. just not Mt. Fuji.
View of Tokyo from the FREE Observation Deck
at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building
Consequently, there was a special art exhibit taking place in the observation deck for the survivors of The Hiroshima and Nagasaki Atomic Bombing, which was so incredibly moving. Maria and I really took the time to look at all the artwork and and read all the quotes from survivors who created paintings of their experiences to help them work through their grief. In no time both of us were in tears. My youngest told me she saw an elderly Japanese man take a photo of me looking at the art and wiping my tears.. I hope seeing me be so moved by this exhibit helped him in some way. I'd like to think it did. In the meantime, another gentleman approached Maria and started chatting with her. He asked her to write her reaction to the exhibit on a form so they could document it and share with other survivors. She obliged him and while they were talking, he revealed that he himself is a survivor. It was an unexpected, but rewarding experience for us at the top of the TMG building!

My daughter with her new friend,
a Nagasaki A-Bomb survivor.
1000 Paper Cranes for healing.. 
Early the next morning we left Tokyo on a speedy Shinkansen bullet train for our last vacation destination.. Kyoto, Japan!

On the Shinkansen Bullet Train
From Tokyo to Kyoto
Once we arrived in Kyoto we walked about 1/2 mile in the hot sun with our luggage in tow to our hotel. We did this a lot, it seems. It was too early to check in, but our hotel held our luggage for us and we headed back to the station to catch a bus for our first Kyoto activity which was a Japanese cooking class! My husband found this great opportunity through TripAdvisor and I'm so glad he did--I loved this experience. If you're ever in Kyoto, I highly recommend you check this out. It's called Haru Cooking Class and is a small group cooking class taught by a Japanese man and his wife in their Kyoto home. They also have an adorable little daughter who entertained us immensely.

I'm going to share more detail about the cooking class in a separate vacation food post tomorrow.. so please come back and look for that!

After our cooking class, I convinced my husband to head back to the hotel so I could take the nap I so desperately needed at this point. I was fighting a little headache from lack of sleep and it was my time of the month so I really needed to lie down for a little while. Later that evening, the girls stayed in with room service and Gabe and I went out for dinner by ourselves. Imagine.. date night in Kyoto! ;)
Kyoto Tower at night
The following morning we set out with all day bus passes and toured a few shrines throughout the city. First up was The Golden Pavilion, another famous Japanese shrine of which you may be familiar.

The Golden Pavilion
The second temple we visited was the Eikando Temple. This shrine had larger, more wooded grounds and was much less crowded. It was so nice walking around all the prayer houses and pavilions and being surrounded by so much green! Maple trees and moss... it was really pretty. We climbed a bunch of stairs to the Taho-to pavilion where we could see the Kyoto skyline.

Everything is so green at Eikando Temple

The Taho-to Pavilion
Eikando Temple

The Kyoto Skyline from Taho-to Pavilion

Looking up at the Taho-to Pavilion
from lower ground in Eikando Temple
We were hot, thirsty and exhausted but decided to power on and head for one last temple. It took a little sense of adventure to get there because we missed the one hourly bus that travels that route by less than 5 minutes. Fortunately, a local Japanese woman standing near us at the stop figured out where we were trying to go and assured us that bus 81 would take us close enough to walk. It was a leap of faith in communication because she didn't speak English and we barely spoke Japanese, and the bus route wasn't even on our map, but she insisted so we boarded bus 81 with her and she told us when to get off. Then she pointed down a street and sent us on our way! With a little help from the GPS in our phone, we found the shrine without too much trouble.

I'm so glad we took the chance and followed the kind Japanese woman onto the bus, because the Fushimi Inari temple, which is a Shinto shrine dedicated to the Shinto God of rice, was spectacular! Intricate and elaborate with so many torii (gate-like structures). It sounds like it would be showy, but really.. it evoked a sense of awe and peace rather than grandiosity. Well in my humble western opinion, anyway. We really enjoyed this shrine! There was a lot to explore and because we were there so late in the day (just after 5 pm) there was so few people there--what a treat! It was nice to take a lot of photos without other people in the picture! ;) The grounds for this shrine are pretty extensive, with lots of hiking trails and torii scattered throughout the woods. If I go back to Kyoto, I wouldn't mind visiting Fushimi Inari shrine again.

Entrance to Fushimi Inari Shrine

A group of Japanese youth dressed in traditional
clothing, washing their hands before
entering the prayer house.

Posing with sass!

Walking down one of the paths lined
with 100s of torii

A view of many torii through the woods.

Another view of the many torii
After walking around the prayer houses and paths through the many, many toriis, we headed back to the hotel. One thing about Japan that I forgot to mention is the abundance of vending machines everywhere. Definitely at train stations and bus stops but even in other places a pedestrian would venture. Well they certainly came in handy for us.. we were always thirsty on this trip! Every once in a while you can also find a photo booth in the vicinity of a vending machine. Remember those? You'd think it was an old fashioned thing, but we actually saw people using them!

A photobooth and vending machine..
vending machines are EVERYWHERE in Japan!
That night the girls were zonked. They just couldn't budge another foot so we set them up with McDonalds take out and instructions to shower and settle in while Gabe and I went out on another date in Kyoto, this time for sushi.

Waiting for our shinkansen bullet train back to Tokyo.
The following morning we took a shinkansen bullet train back to Tokyo and then an express train directly to Narita airport. We just barely made the connection to the airport train. We saw the train come in as we descended the escalator to the track. Trains in Japan are extremely punctual so we are lucky we made it! Phew!

This was our last flight of the trip (flight #7) which took off from Tokyo on Sunday, August 4th at 3:00 pm. After a 12 hour flight we landed in JFK airport in New York at 2:55 pm. We gained 5 minutes like magic! I guess it sort of makes up for losing time going to the Philippines 16 days earlier. Only the jet lag going this way through us for a loop and we're still not straightened out!

Sayonara Japan!
I'm exhausted!!!
So that's our Asian Adventure! Thank you so much for reading all about it.. I hope it wasn't too long and you enjoyed it! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I hope I've inspired you to visit one of these countries someday.

Also, please check back very soon for my post all about the FOOD on our Asian adventure! 



  1. What a wonderful, wonderful trip--and excellent bonding time for you guys.

  2. I LOVE it all! I am so glad all of you had such a wonderful time. Thank you so much for sharing. It sounded wonderful!

    As a side note, I totally screamed when I saw the Ghibli Museum. Scared my hubby downstairs. Lol. I love all things Ghibli.

    Can't wait to read about the food! :D My favorite! Mmmmm.

  3. I can't believe you were on this side of the Equator :) Sounds like an amazing holiday and I loved the photos!

  4. Sounds like it was an amazing trip--thanks so much for sharing.

  5. Great post! I lived vicariously through all your instagram photos. I applaud you for being able to handle a trip like this with all that flying. I would lose my mind. What an amazing experience for your whole family! I'm always impressed with the experiences you give your girls.

  6. Holy cow! What a trip! I think being on that many airplanes, that close together, would cause my head to explode - but wow, what a trip! Thanks for putting this post together and sharing some of your photos.

  7. Wow! What an amazing trip. Something for you & the girls to remember forever. Thanks so much for sharing all your thoughts on it! Can't wait to read the foodie post :)

  8. I LOVED this post (so much - totally lived vicariously through your photos. Thank you for taking the time to put this write-up together - sounds as though you all had a wonderful holiday.

    The photo of the vine-covered Studio Ghibli Museum looks like a face, btw - it made me smile :-)


  9. Thank you all so much for reading through this really long travel journal post. Or at least skimming it and looking at all the pics! xo

    azteclady We bonded all right! I think the girls are sick of us now. lol

    little_alys Oh I'm so glad you enjoyed this post. I know it ended up pretty long but I couldn't decide what to cut out!

    Oh the Ghibli Museum was SO adorable! It's so .. Miyazaki! I swear it felt like the set of one of his animated films if such a thing existed. So sweet! Everything was in Japanese, though, so we couldn't read the info that went with displays. Bummer! BUT we could get the gist of everything.

    I'm working on the food post, I promise! Hopefully tomorrow.

    oranniaI know!!! I kept looking at the map thinking, well it's not THAT far to NZ or AUS from here.. Hopefully someday! Glad you loved my photos. :)

    Too Fond Thanks, Beth! It was an unforgettable trip!

    Samantha (cycles) Thanks for following my adventure on instagram. It was fun sharing and staying connected while traveling. It was a source of comfort, actually.

    You know, all the flying was a bit much on me. Not only do I get nervous and my mind races to the worst "what if" scenarios (which were even worse flying a week after the Asiana incident at SFO), but I also tend to get headaches during and after flying.

    I hope the girls appreciate all this traveling! I think they do.. but we pack A LOT into our days so by day 7 or 8 they are dragging. Thank goodness for hotel wifi so they could connect with their friends at home via viber and instagram!

    Wendy Our trip was quite adventurous! Too much flying for my tastes, but when you're already on the other side of the world, you try to make the most of it! Glad you enjoyed the photos!

    Lori Thanks! It was definitely a memorable trip!

    bookdaze Aw, Li, I'm so glad you enjoyed this post so much. :)
    Yes, I would not be surprised AT ALL if they grew the vines and placed those windows JUST SO to make it look like a face. The place was SO whimsical and SO Studio Ghibli. We loved it.

  10. Is it weird that the first thing I wanna say is that I didn't know there was a new Ghibi movie coming out?
    I'm a huge fan and I didn't know they had a museum!!! Now I wanna go there. My favorite movie is actually Howl's Moving Castle, though I have seen pretty much all of them (least favorite is Ponyo).

    Anyway, I love all the pictures, I never knew Manila / the Philippines was so pretty!! And the dolphins! that must have been amazing!!

    *sigh* I love your travel recaps, I can't wait for the food post:)

  11. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences from your trip! Can't wait to see that film make it to the U.S..

  12. Fascinating! The trip of a lifetime. So glad you all got to do this. I had to wait a couple of days to read it; I needed to find the time :) SOOO worth it. Your pictures are amazing.

    Welcome home!

  13. What an amazing trip ~ I enjoyed following you on Instagram ~ and reading more about your trip here. Hope you get all caught up on your sleep soon!

  14. Alex We didn't know there was a new Ghibli movie out either! Not until we looked up the movie schedule when we decided to go to the movies in Tokyo one night! I can't wait for it, either. In the meantime, we decided to have a Miyazaki marathon this summer before the girls go back to school. I hope we get to it.. Maria's been so busy working and doing off-to-college shopping! ACK!

    Oh and honestly, Manila isn't very pretty at all. . I just happened to capture the nicest parts! A lot of the rest was pretty depressing to tell you the truth. But many other areas of the islands are gorgeous! Did you see the video I posted right before we left? It highlights some of the treasures.

    Brand Thanks for taking the time to read this!

    Phyl Thank you so much for coming back to read this really long travel post! I kept thinking I should trim it down, but I couldn't figure out how! I even left stuff out! LOL!

    Catherine Thanks so much!!!! I loved seeing your "likes" on instagram while I was away! It made me even more excited to share our experience in photos. :)

  15. Oh man, I gotta read the food post!

    This was a trip of a lifetime! Wow! I love that you shared it all with us. I know how hard it is to come back from vacation and have to put it all down in print, but thank you!

    In Japan, did you buy a copy of Murkami's new book??

  16. What an absolutely fantastic trip. I loved following you around the world on Instagram but love this write up too. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

  17. Love the pictures, Christine!! Looks like you and your family had an aweeeesome trip! So happy for you! :)

  18. Love these posts (both of them) and the pictures. I'm glad I didn't read them before I posted my France pics, because you have totally outdone yourself. It looks like such a special trip, the history, both personal and political, the connections, the time together, the beauty and the food. Amazing! We have never been to any part of Asia but Japan is high on our list because two of my husband's college roommates married Japanese women, and we have been enthralled with their cooking and the pics of their trips home. This post is definitely huge encouragement. And I know what you mean about the right age: our 13 y/o was really missing his peer group for the first time on one of our trips. As the kids get older, it gets to be a bigger deal pulling them away from the fabric of their independent lives. Looks like the perfect age and the perfect trip.

    And congrats on being a college mom!

    Thanks for sharing!!

  19. Ti Our trip to Asia was indeed a trip of a lifetime, although I still hope to visit some of these places again in my lifetime! :) I'm so glad you enjoyed my long recap. It was fun getting it all down and I did leave out some things, but I know I'll refer back to this post frequently over the years to revisit the trip, so to speak.

    You know, I did not buy a copy of Murakami's new book while in Japan! I didn't even think about it, to tell you the truth. But it would have been in Japanese, anyway, so not much use to me. ;)

    Beth F Thank you so much for your interest and all the likes on instagram while I was traveling. It was so nice maintaining a connection to "friends from home."

    nathSo glad you loved the pics! We did have a great trip.. Exhausting, but great.

    jessicapmiller Thanks so much for reading both of my Asia travel posts.. I know they are both rather long. I'm so glad you enjoyed them, but your France trip post was fabulous, so I don't know what you're talking about!

    The trip was really special and I learned a lot, too! I hope you do visit Japan someday soon.. it's really a fascinating and wonderful country. I want to go back!

    It really was tough for the girls to be apart from their boyfriend, friends and all that teenage socializing. The good news, though, is that they had more stamina this trip to keep up with all the walking we do on our vacations. I guess I'm mostly talking about my youngest. lol

    Thanks for the college-momma congrats. I miss her!


Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]