Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Where In the World Are You Reading? Holiday Escape

Where In the World Are You Reading? is a monthly book meme created and hosted by Trish [Love, Laughter and a Touch of Insanity], Lisa [Books, Lists, Life] and Kelly [The Written Word] earlier this year to encourage readers to share their reading habits through different monthly prompts. The December theme for this month's Where In the World Are You Reading? book meme is Holiday Escape.

Where or what do you read for a little holiday escape?

I had visions of the ultimate cozy reading photo for this month's theme.. a big comfy chair, a hand knit afghan, a nice thick book, a mug of cocoa and a plate of home baked Christmas cookies, an inviting fire in a fireplace decorated for Christmas... Wait, what??! Yeah.. none of that happened for me either. In fact, I don't even have a fireplace! Ha! So erase that picture in your head, as lovely as it is. Instead, I'll just share some holiday escape books I've read as Christmas approached.

A few years ago, I picked up some holiday-themed books to read in the week or two leading to Christmas. I found reading these stories were not only nice reads, but they really did help boost my Christmas spirit. Now it's a little tradition of mine every year. This year, I read:

Holiday Kisses by Shannon Stacey, Jaci Burton, HelenKay Dimon and Alison Kent.

This is a fun contemporary romance Christmas anthology published by Carina Press in 2011. The stories are light and sweet, but still emotional and a bit sexy, too. A great holiday escape that I really enjoyed reading. You can read my review HERE.

We'll Be Home For Christmas by HelenKay Dimon 

This contemporary romance novella was published this year in the Romancing the Holidays anthology published by Carina Press this year, in December 2012. Two of the stories are sequels to the stories in the Holiday Kisses anthology, but can be purchased individually as well. Since I was mostly interested in the story by HelenKay Dimon, I went ahead and bought that one. I'm so glad I did, because I really liked Spence and Lila's story in We'll Be Home For Christmas. The conflict resolved kind of quickly in the end, but everything that should have been said and done was, so I was happy.

Deck the Halls with Love by Lorraine Heath

This is an historical romance novella that is part of Ms. Heath's The Lost Lords of Pembrook series [Book #2.5], but you definitely don't have to read the series to enjoy this one. I say this with first hand experience as this is the first story I've read by this author. I gave the story four stars on goodreads. I enjoyed the plot and I just loved the last chapter. It was clever and romantic and the perfect ending for this little love story.



What is YOUR holiday reading escape?

Since it is still the holiday season and the rush to get Christmas preparations finished in time is past, I'm going to make a point to sit by the Christmas tree, snuggle under a warm blanket and read a book. Even without a fireplace. ;)  Extra motivation to make sure this happens? I'm get read something on my new ipad mini! (Thank you, Husband! xo)

Thanks to Trish, Lisa and Kelly for hosting this monthly book meme this year. It was a lot of fun!

5 comments:

  1. I like your picks of books and well, whenever there is lots of people in my house - which usually means holidays - I go and sit in my dog's 2nd room. his first room being the hallway leading from my room to the living room, and the 2nd being the tiny space between my bed and my bookcase, I fold my self there and just hide from the relatives and read.

    My dog sometimes goes and hides with me too, which makes it crowded but oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. iPad mini! Sweet! You two are so cute, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, Holiday Kisses anthology! Thanks for that recommendation earlier. :)

    You got the iPad mini! Nice... how do you like the size? Nice, right?

    My hubby got me the Kindle Paperwhite so now I won't get distracted by the Web, emails, Goodreads, etc... as I do when I'm reading with my Kindle Fire, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WTG WRT the iPad Mini!

    I've just done a re-read of my favourite book of the year and it was oh so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex, That sounds like a great little holiday escape! Or any time escape, really. :)

    Lisa, Aw, thanks! ^_^

    Hils I LOVE the size and weight of the iPad mini. It's easier to hold than a paperback! It's easier to type on than the original ipad, too. I had a first gen for the last couple of years and wow is that thing heavy and bulky in comparison. Yeah.. I'm really loving the mini. The next time we get together, we should bring our ipad and kindle paperwhite and check out each other's devices. I'm curious to see them side by side.

    orannia , Thanks! My husband spoils me. ^_^
    How are you doing closing the gap on your goodreads reading challenge? Do you count re-reads?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]