I invented a new variation of the much beloved after school snack, the rice crispy treat. I'm calling it the 'Toasted, Not Burned' Marshmallow Treats. The recipe:
'Toasted, Not Burned' Marshmallow Treats
1 Tblsp. butter
1/2 10 oz. bag of marshmallows
3 cups rice crispy cereal
1. Put butter and marshmallows in large pot on stove set to med-high.
2. Go to laptop to look up a phone number in your address book, quickly check Twitter, tweet a popsicle stick joke, notice The Pioneer Woman is giving away Wustof knives on her site and get excited since you've had the same cheap set of four knives since your first apartment after college (i.e., a loooong time), go to PW Cooks and get distracted by carrot soup recipe, in the back of your mind you start to smell some sweet, caramelized scent . . . what is that yummy smell? *pause* THE MARSHMALLOWS IN THE KITCHEN! Rush to kitchen!
3. Turn off heat on stove.
4. Frantically stir the butter marshmallow mixture that has by now started to burn, but smells really delicious.
5. Add rice crispy cereal and stir.
6. Spoon into a lightly buttered 8 inch square baking pan and press flat with a piece of waxed paper.
7. Serve to children, emphasizing the word TOASTED. ;)