Friday, September 26, 2008

REVIEW of Blue Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas and Personal Discussion on the Abuse Within


I have essentially written two parts to this post; a book review and a personal discussion on the topic of abuse within Blue Eyed Devil. I apologize for the length of the post, but I wanted the discussion to be included with the review, namely because it might be informative to some readers who happen upon my blog in search of the review and may have otherwise missed it if it were posted separately. Anyway, please feel free to read and comment (or not) on whatever part or parts of this post you feel comfortable with.

Note: If you haven't yet read Sugar Daddy, the following review of Blue Eyed Devil does contain spoilers from Sugar Daddy. Read at your own risk.

Review of Blue Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas.

When Lisa Kleypas revealed at the book signing in March of 2007 that she was writing Hardy Cates' story, my first thought was, "Excellent! I can't wait to read that!", and my very next thought was, "Really? Wow. How is she going to pull that off?!" By the end of Sugar Daddy, I was annoyed and disappointed with Hardy's behavior and couldn't imagine him as hero worthy material. I was curious to see how Ms. Kleypas would do it, and after reading the excerpt to Blue Eyed Devil on her website, I was beyond impatient to read this story. It turns out, I had nothing to worry about. Ms. Kleypas pulled it off with ease and truly revealed Hardy's worth as a hero.

Finally, March 2008 rolled around and I bought Blue Eyed Devil once it hit the bookshelves, willingly paying the hardcover price this time! I expected another beautifully written and touching story of self discovery and romance, but I did not expect how deeply this book would affect me on a personal level.

To be honest, I was barely halfway through reading Blue Eyed Devil when I had the revelation that this novel was going to be one of my favorite books of all time. I wanted to share my love of this novel by writing a book review, but in the end I realized that this novel's impact on mepersonally was preventing me from being objective, so I stopped trying to write one. Instead, I showed my love for Blue Eyed Devil by commenting almost everywhere I read a review on the internet, affirming all the many rave reviews.

This week, however, I was inspired by Ana and Thea's Lisa Kleypas Week at The Book Smugglers blog and decided to revisit my thoughts on Blue Eyed Devil and now here I am, writing a review for a book I read six months ago.

Like Sugar Daddy, Blue Eyed Devil is another story of a young woman's journey to find herself and the true love she deserves. Blue Eyed Devil is the story of Haven Travis, the youngest and only daughter of business tycoon Churchill Travis, who was Liberty Jones' 'sugar daddy' so to speak in Sugar Daddy. The story opens at the wedding of Liberty Jones and Gage Travis from Sugar Daddy. Haven Travis is engaged to Nick Tanner and accidentally shares an intimate kiss in a dark wine cellar with Hardy Cates--Liberty Jones' long ago, long time childhood crush--thinking he is Nick. After much embarrassment, Haven composes herself and they part ways.

Haven marries Nick and their relationship quickly proves to be an unhealthy one. Nick emotionally abuses Haven, beginning with subtle insults and degradations, and building slowly as he isolates her from her family and friends, controls how she spends her time and money, intimidates her, and purposely destroys personal items in the house. Ultimately he controls Haven in such a way that she loses sight of her individuality and her right to be free and happy. As the frequency and severity of Nick's emotional abuse of Haven increases, eventually the physical and sexual abuse begins. In final bout of rage, Nick severely injures Haven and locks her out of their home. Finally, Haven is able to walk away and save herself.

Haven's road to healing begins as she puts in a call to her brother Gage Travis--husband of Liberty Jones, both of whom give Haven shelter, loving support and personal space for healing. And let me just point out that I loved Gage in Sugar Daddy, but I love loved him in Blue Eyed Devil. He was perfect and very heroic. Haven then divorces Nick, seeks professional help for her abusive past, starts working for her brother, Jack Travis and begins to put her life back together and become whole again.

Blue Eyed Devil is the heart wrenching story of how Haven Travis lost herself in a damaging and unhealthy way as a result of her abusive marriage to Nick Tanner. It is also the heart warming story of how Haven Travis put herself on the path of healing and self empowerment and how she found the genuine, healthy, unrequited love she deserves. Haven Travis finds such a love with none other than Hardy Cates, the self made Texan business tycoon who has been on his own path to find himself for some time as well. Their story intense and beautiful, filled with heart aches and emotional healing and some very tender and very sexy love scenes. Together Haven and Hardy provide what the other one needs in order to heal. Blue Eyed Devil is a story of personal triumph with a romantic happily ever after that will stay in my heart forever.

GRADE: A+

You can read more about author Lisa Kelypas and her work on her website HERE.

Note: For those readers whose first reaction is to shy away from reading Blue Eyed Devil because of the nature of the abuse, I just want to let you know that although the impact of the abuse is a thread throughout the entire novel, the scenes of the actual abuse are very carefully written such that the violence of the abuse is real, but it's not excessively graphic. I'm not saying it's not difficult to read. It is. It's just that Ms. Kleypas did not under or overplay the nature of the abuse, and readers shouldn't avoid reading it for its graphic nature.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Personal Discussion on the Abuse in Blue Eyed Devil.

What If?


As I mentioned in my review above, I had a difficult time effectively writing an objective review of Blue Eyed Devil back in March when I first read the book. I felt too personally affected by Haven's abuse to properly compose my thoughts, so I sort of just let it go without following through with a book review.

Then today, something changed. I read Ana's review of Blue Eyed Devil on The Book Smugglers blog where Ana and Thea are showcasing the works of Lisa Kleypas all this week. Perhaps it's because I haven't discussed or read a review of Blue Eyed Devil in a while, but as I read Ana's wonderfully written review, my vision blurred, tears rolled down my cheeks, as I became flooded with similar emotions I had as I read the novel several months ago. It was then that I realized I really did have something to share about this novel that could be of some value to other readers. What I have to share is perhaps subjective, and probably most readers don't want or need to know about this novel's personal impact on me in order to help them decide whether or not to read Blue Eyed Devil. But what if there is someone who comes across my blog, and what if they have experienced something similar to me, and what if my post is what inspires them to read Blue Eyed Devil? And what if that person reads it, and what if that person is similarly affected by Haven's story? And what if by posting my personal thoughts on Blue Eyed Devil, I was playing a part in helping someone else heal? So I decided to share why and how Blue Eyed Devil is such a special book to me.

As the abusive part of Haven's story unfolds, I began to identify with Haven in an alarming way, as I was subjected to similar abuse in my youth from my father. While my circumstances were slightly different from Haven's--namely that I was a child without choice and the abuse was from a parent and not a chosen partner-- I readily related to Haven's plight and recognized the pattern of Nick's behavior as the same of my father's. As I read the chapters of Haven's abuse, my heart rate elevated and my chest tightened as I identified and empathized so astutely with Haven and her state of desperation. The whole time, I was thinking to myself, "I know how this feels. I know what it's like to fall victim to this kind of manipulative abuse and not be able to get out. I know this." Lisa Kleypas wrote this part of the story so incredibly accurately, which thoroughly impressed me. I was impressed that Ms. Kleypas wrote all aspects of this abusive relationship with such amazing realism. I was also saddened as I was reminded that this kind of abuse exists in the first place and keeps happening to women all over the world.

Tears continuously slipped down my cheeks as I read the chapters of Haven's abusive marriage. I refused to put the book down until I knew she was out of the relationship and on her way to her happily ever after, which I knew would happen. This is a novel by romance author Lisa Kleypas after all. My empathy for Haven was so intense as I read on; I was desperate to find out how she managed to break free from the destructive relationship. I cried tears of relief when Haven started on the road to recovery. I continued to cry tears of sadness for Haven because while I knew that she would heal, I knew it would never be completely, because sadly, you never forget the pain and sorrow. After a time you don't think about it every day or even every week. But it's always a part of you that still puts an ache in your heart.

Then I got to Chapter 5. Haven started going to a therapist and I was given a revelation to my own past that I didn't quite expect. Haven's therapist Susan Byrnes told her that Nick suffers from narcissistic personality disorder or NPD, and proceeded to explain some of what that entails.

"A person with NPD was domineering, blaming, self-absorbed, intolerant of others' needs . . . and they used rage as a control tactic. They didn't respect anyone else's boundaries, which meant they felt entitled to bully and criticize until their victims were an absolute mess."

I can barely explain explain the intense and odd mixture of emotions rushed through me at that point as I learned for the first time that there was an actual clinical diagnosis for people like Nick Tanner and my father. I was a bit stunned, relieved, angry, sad, and . . . interestingly, I felt validated. As if having a name and description for my father's behavior actually brought some logic to the emotional abuse he subjected his family to all those years. At least I now have a little piece of understanding, for which I have Lisa Kleypas to thank.

By now my tears are not just for Haven Travis, but also for myself and anyone else who has suffered abuse by a loved one like this. I know how desolate it feels, and I know how terribly difficult it is to finally end the relationship. To better understand this kind of desolation, consider this quote from Lisa Kleypas, taken from the comments section of Ana's review of Blue Eyed Devil at the Book Smugglers blog just a few days ago:

"One of the experts I consulted told me that most abused wives have no more ability to leave than a young child would have to leave his or her home. It has nothing to do with the victim's intelligence or morality or anything like that . . . it's a mental prison that the abuser creates."
Thankfully, I am also fortunate to know how it feels to be in a healthy relationship and to be a part of a safe, happy, and loving home. I know this because nearly twenty years ago I found the wonderful man who is my husband and the father of my daughters and I'm living the happily ever after that I deserve. Not that everything is perfect . . . but it's pretty close and it's definitely healthy and loving.

Any reader who reads Blue Eyed Devil and can't believe or understand how Haven could remain with Nick for as long as she did is both fortunate and ignorant. They are fortunate simply because their incomprehension suggests they've never known someone who has NPD, they've never been in a relationship with someone with NPD, and they've never been abused by someone whom they trusted and or loved. They are ignorant because the story of Haven's abusive relationship with Nick is written with exceptional realism that I and many many others can attest to first hand.

To any reader who reads Blue Eyed Devil and recognizes themselves as the victim in an abusive relationship, I hope Haven's story of triumph comforts you as it did me. Not only is it comforting to know others know exactly how you feel and its affects on your soul, but it is also reassuring to know that recovery and progress to a better life is possible. I also hope that Haven's story inspires you to seek the support that you need to end the abusive relationship and move forward toward a healthier life. In the author's note at the end of the book, Lisa Kleypas has shared some links to websites that she found to be informative and helpful to understanding abuse and personality disorders.

www.abusesanctuary.blogspot.com
www.controllingparents.com
www.narcissism.101.com

The National Domestic Violence Hotline and website:
(800) 799-SAFE
www.ndvh.org

On a final note, I just want to say that as you can imagine, writing this post was rather difficult. I revisited a very sad part of my life, and shared some very personal things about myself that many people may find uncomfortable knowing about. I guess I've taken a risk of sorts by putting this piece of me out there for all the world to see (well, mostly maybe only 20 people?), but my intention is to put this out there in the chance that by sharing this, I may help someone else. What if, right?

I also want to state that I don't want to make you to feel uncomfortable about what I've shared in this post. To the readers of my blog who regularly visit and leave me comments, I know you are all warm, loving people whom I consider friends and I certainly apologize if I've made you uncomfortable. I'm not looking for sympathy and I want you especially to be assured that my experiences with abuse happened a long time ago and while the hurt and sorrow never completely goes away, I'm thankfully in a very happy and healthy place in my life now, forever moving forward. And you know what? Life is good, because I've got my very own version of Hardy Cates . . . in my husband.

56 comments:

  1. ((HUGS))
    Isn't it amazing what a book can make you feel or come to conclusions about yourself?
    We have chatted about both our experiences after reading BED, yours with your father, mine with me so-called best friend of ten years. Lisa wrote a book that is not just a romance, but a wonderful insightful book that really touched me and the majority who have read it. So much so, that after I finished reading, I started off into space as tears ran down my face. And this was on the bus going into work!
    If I ever do meet Lisa, which I can't believe I missed meeting her at RWA, I will simply hug her and say a simple "thank you".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine,
    That was probably one of the best posts/reviews I have ever read.

    ~Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kate.
    ((HUGS)) to you, too! =)

    I still find it remarkable how many people are abused by individuals with personality disorders. I wish there was more discussion or exposure of this kind of abuse in the media. I think part of that is it is a difficult kind of abuse to understand--especially if the abuser and victim are in a relationship that was founded by love and trust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd probably just break down in tears if I met Lisa again. When I look at the photo of me and Lisa that I posted the other day, I think to myself, "Who would have known that a year later, I'd be reading another book by this amazing author who will have touched my life in such a deep, personal way that I'll never forget?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how difficult it is to post something so personal. I think your reasons for posting are wonderful...What if?

    I have read books that affect me in the same way, however with a different type of abuse. I know how hard that post was because I suffered abuse from an uncle many years ago. I have a very hard time with it sometimes with everyday things in life. I see a particular car or a name. Most recently it was as my son neared his ninth birthday this year. That was the age I was. My husband and I were on our way home from buying his birthday presents and I had a mild anxiety attack. My chest constricted, I started shaking and I cried. But I knew that my child will never, ever experience anyhting like I did.

    But like you, my life is one of those happily ever afters and it makes all the bad in my past bearable. And I can look back and not feel the pain of it all knowing that my future and my sons future will not have that in it.

    Whew...

    (Hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christine,
    Thank you so much for this incredible review...I had questioned whether I wanted to take the plunge into this book (even though I have a standing order for any Kleypas books at my local bookstore) and you and your personal story have convinced me. Thank you for sharing...and thanks, too, to Lisa K, for shining a light on such an important issue.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christine, I salute your courage and your generosity.

    Your courage in sharing such a painful part of your life with us, and your courage in overcoming it.

    Your generosity in making yourself vulnerable in hopes you can help someone, anyone, you may never hear from.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy :: Thanks so much for your comment and for sharing your story as well. I know exactly what you mean about the triggers that bring back bad memories... and about the anxiety that grabs hold of you when you see your child at the age you were when you were abused. I look at my beautiful daughters and my heart shatters at the mere thought of someone hurting them the way I was. How could anyone do those things to a child whom they supposedly love and care about? :(

    But like you said, thankfully, we have our own happily ever afters that makes our present and futures so wonderful.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah :: Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and leave a comment. I'm glad I was able to convince you to read Lisa K's Blue Eyed Devil! I'd love to hear your thoughts on it when you do. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. azteclady :: Thank you so much for your kind words. It means a lot to me. =)

    It would be very nice to think that I could be capable of helping someone with this post. I'm kind of counting on it, even if like you said, I never hear from them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man. now I am in tears Christine, what a wonderful post. Such a brave, brave thing to do. Thank you so much for sharing.

    I have been through something similar as well with my ex-partner - although not as violent as Haven's, still it was a very difficult relationship and one that was extremely hard to break away from. It took me 7 years but I finally did it and then 2 years of therapy to try to get over it. Then, I met my Dear Partner and I can say he is my Hardy too.

    This:

    "I know how this feels. I know what it's like to fall victim to this kind of manipulative abuse and not be able to get out. I know this."

    was exactly how I felt when I was reading the book too.

    I hug you my dear. *kisses*

    ReplyDelete
  12. *hugs* You know I'm crying at work right now. Very quietly of course so no one will notice, but I thought you should know. I don't think I need to say too much for you to understand why I think it's so touching and wonderful for you to have written this, but my eyes are kind of blurring right now so I'm off to the bathroom.
    Much love - Alice

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of the things I have found that I did with Devin because of my inner demons was never leaving him with sitters. Only twice did I leave him with someone other than family and one of my really close firends. The thought of not knowing what would happen to him overruled a night out. If he couldn't go, we couldn't go.

    BTW, I posted a blog this morning about you :) I forgot to mention it in my first post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christine, what a heartbreaking, courageous post. Thank you for sharing with us. My heart goes out to you.

    I know how dedicated you are to your family now, and your close relationships with your daughters...and in light of this very personal post and the history with your father...I can't even begin to say how incredibly heartwarming and poignant this post is. You are a source of hope and strength for anyone that might be suffering from abusive relationships. Thank you for sharing. *enormous bear hug*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christine, thank you so much for being so open and personal in this post. Like many others, I have my own story of abuse and commend your strength and bravery in posting today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Christine - Forgive me for arriving a bit late to read this post. I'm so, so impressed with your honesty and candor. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Perhaps it will inspire others to get help too.

    I can't imagine what you've gone through, but what a wonderful, strong woman you are!

    {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  17. Christine, I can't believe what a moving and courageous post this is! I am so impressed and touched that you shared this.

    And good for you for making such a loving family when you didn't have that example as a child.

    Wow, and I really have to read this book. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Christine: Truly a wonderful post.
    This book also deeply touched me on a personal level too, because at one point Ron and I were headed down that same kind of path. Thankfully he didn't have this disorder and once he finally really 'knew' how devastated his behaviour was making me, he stopped and we were one of the lucky couples who were able to repair the damage, with help, and come through the other side with a better and stronger marriage.
    But reading BED, like you, I could really relate to Haven. She is a 'people pleaser' as I think I am.
    Thank you for your courage in sharing your story. I know you have touched a lot of people with your bravery.
    And thanks to Lisa Kleypas too, for writing such a book, a book that can resonate with so many people and touch their heart.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dearest Christine,

    You've touched my heart beyond my power to express. Really, the only thing I can say is, I understand. In fact, I understand more than I can say in a public forum. But what I am most grateful for is that not only have you survived, you have survived with an ability to love and trust and have complete relationships with other people, and that takes extraordinary strength and hope. I know this, and Amy and Kristie and Ana know it too.

    I don't know if this helps, but if you can envision the wonderful little girl you were, and feel compassion because no one protected her enough . . .it's not too late to protect her. You can take care of her, of yourself, by setting boundaries and not letting other people take advantage of you.

    I pray that you will have all the joy in life you deserve . . . I know you will. Because people like us are able to appreciate things that others might take for granted.

    Much love to you, dear friend

    --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Christine,

    I was deeply touched by your post. I am glad that you posted it and I think nothing but positive energy will result from it. It is definitely not easy to post about something so deeply personal and I commend you for your bravery. I am sure that other women who are not so vocal, who have suffered abuse, will benefit from your post and Blue Eyed Devil.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Christine, thank you very much for sharing such a personal story. You are very brave and courageous, and I admire you greatly for overcoming and posting about this painful part of your life.

    Taja

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ana :: Thank you so much for your kind words and for sharing your story. I appreciate the warm, loving support you give me here and in emails. I hope you know I'm here for you in the same way.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Alice :: Oh, sweetie, I'm sorry to have made you cry at work. Just tell everyone you got something in your eye. Which isn't really a lie, if you've got tears there, right?
    Thanks for the love.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amy :: Thank you so much for the blog post you wrote about me! It couldn't have come at a better time! I'm so, so grateful for the friendship we share.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thea :: Thank you. I guess my childhood home life taught me how NOT to be as a parent. Is it possible to over nurture your children? LOL I hope not!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Marg :: Thank you so much for commenting. It saddens me to learn how many woman I know or am acquainted with have been abused at one time during their life. It is comforting, though, to know I'm not alone and there are others who understand.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Kati :: Thank you for your kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Carolyn Jean :: Thank you! Yes, you NEED to read Blue Eyed Devil. I dare you. Oh, wait. That's Ana and Thea's job. =)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kristie :: I'll never forget that day back in March when we chatted on AIM about Blue Eyed Devil. It was morning after I read the chapters in which Haven was with Nick and I remember pouring my heart out to you in that IM conversation. I just want to thank you again for being there for me like that, so warm and supportive. I'll never forget that, Kristie. Thank you.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Lisa :: Did you see my comment above in which I said I'd probably just break down in tears if I met you again? Well, apparently that applies to comments from you, too, because I couldn't see my laptop through my tears when I read your comment late last night.

    Your suggestion for envisioning myself as a child and wanting to protect her is incredibly insightful. I spent a long time feeling sorry for myself and it wasn't until I left home and then spent some more time feeling for myself and grieving over the loss of 'family' that I finally recognized that no one will protect me better than myself. Now I am very diligent about teaching my girls emotional and physical boundaries so that they have the best opportunity to only have healthy relationships in their lives.

    Thank you so much for writing Haven's story. Not only is it a heartwarming love story, but it is also such a powerful and important story of abuse, survival and recovery that has touched the lives of so many women.

    You are an amazing author and woman.
    Thank you for your compassion and friendship.
    xoxo

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jill :: Thank you for your words of support and your encouragement in the helpfulness of my post to others.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Taja :: Thank you so much. I admit I hesitated with that PUBLISH YOUR POST button, but the desire to reach out to someone in need won out. I'm glad I did it, even if I never know whether or not I actually helped someone else the way Lisa helped me.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Chrissy- Don't be sorry. I knew there was a high likelihood for me crying, but I also knew I had to read what you wrote. I wanted to just drop everything and call you right then and there, but it probably would have gotten me to cried even harder and freak out people at work. LOL.
    You're wonderful! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  34. (((((Christine)))))

    Christine - thank you. You're amazing - to overcome what you have, plus to find the courage to post. I'm in awe. I hope I can find the strength to follow the path you're already walked.

    orannia

    ReplyDelete
  35. orannia :: I happen to know that you CAN get to a better place, too. But the only person who can get you to take that first step on that path is you. You can do it. I know you can.

    You can email me privately anytime if you'd like to talk. You can get my email address from my profile. Even if our stories are different, victims of abuse from NPD are kindred spirits of sorts. I'm obviously not a substitute for professional help, but I can be a friend who is sensitive to your situation and understands what you are going through. :)

    (((((orannia)))))

    ReplyDelete
  36. ((HUGS)) sweetie I am so glad that you were able to find your HEA and a man that loves you and treats you right.

    This is a book that I am scared to read from my own past and I know that I need to. The path to healing is a long and hard one but it is something we must all tread. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I had the same reaction as you to BLUE EYED DEVIL.

    I resisted reading SUGAR DADDY (for no reason but that I was not in a contemporary frame of mind) but once I began reading I fell in love. When I got BLUE EYED DEVIL I was reading it before I got home from the post office.

    I sobbed. I completely lost myself in Haven's story. I became Haven. BLUE EYED DEVIL touched my soul.

    I've shared my passion for this book with EVERYONE. I've read it several times. I've used my Amazon Prime membership to buy and ship copies to family and friends.

    On a personal note, I AM Haven like YOU are Haven, like so many women and children are Haven. May we all get a happily ever after as glorious as Haven's.

    I am so thankful for your post about BED. You expressed what I couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow...that was a beautifully written post, Christine. I applaud you for the strength you've shown in writing this.

    I've never suffered from abuse by a loved one, but I certainly did by my peers from kindergarten until I dropped out of school my senior year. It was hell and any child who suffers from that type of abuse...well, my heart goes out to them.

    Like you, this book is definitely one of my all-time favorites. It's so beautifully written and just makes my heart ache, but as Haven gets stronger, she makes me want to jump up and down in joy.

    And Hardy??? Totally redeems himself in this book. What a hottie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  39. *squishes you*
    This was an awesome post, C.
    I love that you've come through to the other side...healthy and happy.
    You have a wonderful family.

    This is why I love to read so much. Books can be so cathartic and enlighting...even if they are "just a romance novel"...I wish everyone would see these books as we do!!

    I've purchased these 2 books...which my auntie loved...and yes she was crying...

    I have yet to read them and I will...they've moved to the top of my tbr!

    miss talking to you!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love you Christine!!! {{big hug}}

    I know I'm behind on my commenting but wanted to let you know that I think you're incredibly courageous for posting this. You're an wonderful person and I'm so happy you were able to find your very own HEA! Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wonderful post - this novel was beautifully written and will remain a favorite of mine as well. I was wondering - what was your opinion on Mary Jo Putney's The Burning Point? It dealt with abuse as well, but the abuser (reformed) was the hero.

    ReplyDelete
  42. What an amazing and powerful review. I've been reading the various reactions to this book, and have been in tears for all the revelations being made about many of my dear online friends. I salute you for sharing your own experiences and for coming out stronger in the end for what you've been through.

    I think it's been extremely eye-opening to others that just about anyone can be an abuser - a parent, spouse/significant other, friend, co-worker. You should know how much I respect you for surviving such a traumatic situation, and stopping the cycle from continuing. Big hugs {{{Christine}}}

    ReplyDelete
  43. Sarai :: Thank you. I'm very lucky to be where I am right now. I think there are parts of Blue Eyed Devil that would be difficult for you, but you'd get so much out of it. I hope you give it a try.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  44. Annmarie :: Thank you for sharing how deeply Haven's story affected you as well. I'm amazed and saddened by how many women have experienced some form or other of either emotional and or physical abuse. I'm also so very proud of how many of us have been able to rise above it.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  45. Lady of the Review :: I'm sorry for the emotional abuse you suffered from your peers all those years. I hope since then you've been able to work toward stopping anyone from treating you that way ever again.
    xoxo

    Haven's triumph was awesome. And yeah... I agree with you. Hardy was awesome. And oh so sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  46. dd03 :: Thank you! You're so very right. Blue Eyed Devil was definitely both cathartic and enlightening for me. I can't wait for you to read it. Have tissues handy. ;)

    I miss you, too!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  47. Tracy :: Knowing I have loving and supportive friends like you here gave me the courage to share my story.
    Thank you for that. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  48. Post Editor :: Welcome and thank you for commenting. I'm not familiar with The Burning Point, but admit I'm hesitant to believe a story about a reformed abuser, especially if the abuser is narcissistic. I gather you've read it? If so, were you convinced of the hero's transformation?

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh.my.word. How you have touched me across the internet. Well, big hugs to you, hon! I admit I couldn't read ALL of your post - I'm taking a break at work and it wouldn't do to encourage the tears when I share a cubicle with four other designers. :(

    And now I really, really know I can't read this book or Sugar Daddy till I have all my emotions in check and can stomach it. I just have such a soft heart for victims of emotional and physical abuse. I loed reading your review and comments tho, what I did. As always, you amaze me and I do mean in a good way, lol! And hon, you have ALWAYS got a reason to share with readers here. We obviously enjoy your views.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Stacy :: Thank you so much for your sensitive response. I myself am amazed at how many women have been abused by someone in one form or another throughout their lives and am grateful for everyone who opened up here on my blog and on their own blogs. It's extremely comforting. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  51. kmont :: Oh no! No crying at work. Which is why when you do read Blue Eyed Devil, you'll need to read at home only. ;)

    Thank you so much for your very sweet comment. It warms my heart knowing I can touch the lives of others in some way across the internet. Thanks so much for your friendship. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  52. I am so happy that someone wrote this. That YOU wrote this... (hugs to you). When I read this book, I couldn't put it away, or stop thinking about it. It affected me in a similar way, and I was just so impressed by how incredibly realistic it felt to read it. LK's research and writing was amazing in this book. I was lucky to have a friend who also read this book, and who understands the diagnosis as well, so at least I had someone to discuss it with. We talked ourselves out.... until then, I could not pick up another book. Thank you for your brave and beautiful review AND discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  53. It goes without saying that I commend you for this, Christine. It's a difficult and inspiring piece to read. Thank you so much for sharing this with us all. I heart you big time and...I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  54. HIlcia :: Lisa Kleypas certainly delivered a powerful story that so many of us can personally relate to on some level. She truly has a talent for effecting her readers. I'm glad BED moved you as strongly as it did me.

    Thanks so much for commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Lisabea :: Thanks, sweetbea (stole that from Josh). I heart you big time, too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]