Friday, June 14, 2013

Library Loot LXIX

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries! 

My second post this week! Hopefully this is a sign of more blogging to come. This week was crappy.. nothing terrible, just a few little sad things and few other things going wrong. Everyone seems kind of cranky and the weather's been lousy. Have you ever read me write so many negative things in one paragraph on my blog? I really try not to. Hoping to press that reset button over the weekend. :)

Here's a look at the books I've brought home from the library (libraries) since my last Library Loot post.

Borrowed from the library:


Travel books:
Hong Kong 
Kyoto 
Tokyo 
Japan 

Fiction:
Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami
The Sigh by Marjane Satrapi
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
A Midsummer Night's Dream graphic novel


Health & Cookbooks:
Meatless from the Kitchens of Martha Stewart
The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy 
(I'm doing this now! Will post more soon..)
Crazy Sexy Kitchen by Kris Carr
(I reviewed Crazy Sexy Diet HERE.)

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

This is the second book in the All Souls Trilogy by this author, which I'm greatly enjoying. I finished reading A Discovery of Witches for May's book club pick and promptly sought out its sequel. I really love Harkness' writing and the story is complex and enriching. I'm halfway through this one now then I'll have to wait with everyone else for the final book expected sometime this year or next, I suppose.



Bought for a total of $8 at my library's used book sale: 


The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller 
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Záfon (duplicate copy for my shelf) 
The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Záfon 
Valeria's Last Stand by Marc Fitten 
The Shack by William Paul 
Young Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer 
Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier 
The White Woman on the Green Bicycle by Monique Roffey 
His Mistress by Christmas by Victoria Alexander 
The Christmas Thief by Mary Higgins Clark 
All Through the Night by Mary Higgins Clark 
Dashing Through the Snow by Mary Higgins Clark 
Silent Night by Mary Higgins Clark 

I've never read anything by Mary Higgins Clark, but since these were novella-sized books and Christmas themed, I thought they'd make a nice addition to my collection of holiday books. 

Have you read any of the books above? 

And then standing upright on the right in the photo, all by Anne Rice:

The Tale of The Body Thief 
Taltos 
Angel Time 
The Vampire Armand 
The Queen of the Damned 
Interview with the Vampire 

Some of these Anne Rice books are duplicates to books I already own, but my copies were in less pristine condition or missing their book jackets. I almost have a complete set of her Vampire and Witch books now. I think I need just one or two more, all of which I am determined to find in hardcover format at used book sales. Not sure if I'll ever read them all, but I do love how they look on the bookshelf. 

What have you brought home from the library recently?

8 comments:

  1. I just picked up a couple books today! Wow, you got a great seal for $8!
    I now have Spirit and Dust by Rosemary Clement-Moore, Lock, Stock, and Over a Barrel by Melody Carlson and Sassy Belles by Beth Albright.
    Knew you'd like the All Souls books. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops. Meant a few, not a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow! You bought some great books at a great price, Christine! I think I still have 2 copies of Bridges by Waller... and I'm jealous that you have the Zafon books in print. I have the ebooks. And, oh boy! I haven't read anything by Mary Higgins Clark in a long time, but I used to enjoy her books (gave all her books to my sister in law who loves her). I do still have the Vampire books by Rice -- I don't think I have the complete set either though. I need to check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome haul! My 13 yr old read Shadow Of The Wind and liked it :) I've read Mary Higgins Clark and enjoyed some of them. Anne Rice is great haven't read her in YEARS. Loved Interview of course, Ramses The Damned and The Mayfair Witches were my all time faves from her. It's been so long I can't remember which vampire book I read last.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I forgot, read the first of Harkness' still need to read the second :)

      Delete
  5. I just picked up four audiobooks for the trip. I have a stack to bring with me but hoping to bring just two real books, embracing my ipad! I will read 10-12 books so I can't travel with 'real'.

    You won't be surprised to discover I haven't read any of the books you picked up. Do enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Christine! Hope those guidebooks are useful :) I never know where to start ^_^;

    LOL, just curious, do you ever read the books you buy at the library sale? :) From those you bought, I have only read the Victoria Alexander :)

    I need to read the Discovery of Witches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brandy :: I'm unfamiliar with all of those books you name! Hope you enjoy them. And you were spot on with the All Souls trilogy. I am loving it. Usually I get antsy when it takes me more than 3-5 days to read a book, but with these books I don't mind so much because it's worth reading and savoring slowly. I'm almost done with Shadow of Night.. how long do we have to wait for the next one?!

    Hilcia :: Oh I'll give you a copy of Shadow of the Wind! I now have two because I couldn't decide between the two different covers. lol!

    luv46kdz :: I'd like to think I'll get to the Anne Rice books someday, but they're not on my immediate radar.

    Oh you gotta read Shadow of Night. It's so good!

    mpartyka :: Didn't you read Bridges of Madison County? Wow do you really think you'll read 10-12 books while in Africa? I think you'll be pretty busy climbing and sleeping.. ;)

    nath ::I like to look at the guidebooks for visuals and to look at maps and get an idea of the lay of the land, so to speak. I have a very visual memory and it will help believe it or not!

    LOL Good question! I have read a couple of the books I've bought at the used book sales.. but mostly they decorate my shelves. :)

    I think you might like A Discovery of Witches. It's mostly historical and supernatural, but there's romantic elements to it, too.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]