Monday, October 19, 2009

Cinnamon Toasted Pumpkin Seeds


This is a great snack to make when you carve your Halloween pumpkin. It's so quick and easy! You can have the seeds toasting in the oven within minutes of scooping out the insides of your pumpkin. It makes the house smell heavenly, too!



Cinnamon Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 Tblsp. butter, melted
2 tsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
kosher salt

1. Preheat oven to 275 F

2. Wash pumpkin seeds by rinsing in a colander until the water runs clear, picking out any remaining pieces of pumpkin. Drain well and spread out on a cookie sheet and pat dry with a paper towel.


3. Pile pumpkin seeds on the cookie sheet and drizzle melted butter over the pile of seeds and sprinkle on the sugar, cinnamon and a pinch or two of kosher salt.

4. Gently toss seeds until evenly coated and spread the seeds out evenly on the cookie sheet.

5. Bake in 275 F oven for approximately 30 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring seeds every 10 minutes and checking for doneness each time.


6. Remove from oven and let the seeds cool for a few minutes.

7. Remove seeds from cookie sheet and serve!

Chances are there won't be any leftovers, but if there are, store seeds in an airtight container for a few days to preserve freshness.

Enjoy! :)

13 comments:

  1. Yum, sounds delish Christine! Thanks for sharing.

    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! They sound gorgeous! Question if I may please - is there are reason why you use kosher salt? Just wondering :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, girls! They were delicious! :)

    As far as using kosher salt, I just started using it years ago on the recommendation of a cooking magazine and use it pretty much exclusively in all of my cooking since then. I like the texture and flavor better than other salts, but do think it makes a huge difference in recipes that call for salting the surface of a food such as with the toasted pumpkin seeds. A good alternative to kosher salt in this recipe would be sea salt, but any salt could be used, really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love pumpkin seeds this way. They are just one of my favorite things ever. Ok, now I'm gonna have to have my girls carve pumpkins this weekend so I can make the seeds in the oven afterward! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love baking the pumpkin seeds every year when we carve our pumpkins. The cinnamon/sugar version sounds delicious. I'll definitely give it a try this year. Thanks Christine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool recipe, Christine :D

    Hmmm, I'll have to look for kosher salt if you think it's so good :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, these do sound good. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cinnamon sugar is a nice twist to the classic salted and roasted seeds. I hope you guys get the chance to try this recipe... and that you like it! LOL

    Ditto with regards to the kosher salt. ;0

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG i could eat my weight in pumpkin seeds!!

    Love them.

    Regarding your comment on Kate DiCamillo, I would say my favorite of hers would be The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiya Jace! I'm sure all kinds of squash are grown in Malaysia, but what about pumpkins? If not, I'm sure you could repeat this recipe with those big melon seeds that are found in the pacific islands. I forget what they're called, but my mother-in-law loved them. (My husband is from the Philippines... )

    Michelle ~ I couldn't eat my weight in pumpkin seeds. I'd have to eat a ton! Well... not literally, of course. But it would still be way too much. LOL!

    The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is absolutely my favorite DiCamillo novel, too! I even blogged about it two weeks ago HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh this sounds really good. Now I just need to get a pumpkin, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jill! Yes, you do need a pumpkin to make this snack. LOL! I'm sure your kids would love to help with this recipe, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]