Friday, August 21, 2009

REVIEW: Lament: A Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater

Published by Flux, October 1, 2008

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception is a young adult urban fantasy novel written by the very talented, Maggie Stiefvater.

From the inside cover:
Sixteen year old Deirdre Monaghan is a prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's a cloverhand--one who can see faeries.
Unexpectedly, Deirdre finds herself infatuated with mysterious boy named Luke who enters her ordinary life, seemingly out of thin air. But his interest in her might be something darker than a summer romance. When a sinister faerie named Aodhan shows up with deadly orders from the Faerie Queen, it forces Dee right into the midst of Faerie. Caught in the crossfire with Deirdre is James, her wisecracking but loyal best friend.
Deirdre had been wishing her summer weren't so dull, but taking on a centuries-old Faerie Queen isn't exactly what she had in mind.


Lament is author Maggie Stiefvater's debut novel and is simply phenomenal. The story is beautifully written, simultaneously elegant and down to earth. The descriptions of Deirdre Monaghan's world and the curious, beautiful and frightening world of the fae into which she gets thrown come to life right off the pages of the book, immersing the reader full force into the story.

Lament is an engaging story of family, friendship, love and self discovery that griped me from the very first pages and swept me along to the very end. It's a coming of age story for the somewhat introverted and seemingly ordinary Deirdre Monaghan in which she learns her extraordinary place in a dark and whimsical world of Faeirie.

The family relationships between Deirdre, her mom, aunt, her grandmother are seemingly normal, but as Deirdre learns more about herself and the world she lives in, she also gains a greater understanding of the relationships between the women in her family that will change her life forever.

In addition to Deirdre's new found understanding of her familial relationships, she also learns some valuable lessons in friendship. Deirdre's friendship with her long time best friend James experiences some subtle shifts when she becomes infatuated with Luke. She also learns a surprising lesson or two from a new friendship that is almost unintentionally forged between her and Sara--her socially polar opposite classmate and co-worker at Dave's Ice.

Deirdre becomes infatuated with Luke almost as soon as she meets him; he's handsome, charming, and has a musical talent that near matches her own. Luke is fascinated by Deidre and can't help but want to keep company with her, even though he has come into her life for hidden reasons. What I really liked about the love story component of Lament, is that Deirdre doesn't ever mistake infatuation for love. While of course she craves his company and affection, she is rightfully cautious, as there is something dark and dangerous surrounding Deirdre ever since Luke Dillon came into her life.

Maggie Stiefvater has wonderfully crafted a Faerie tale deeply rooted in folklore and strongly connected to the beauty and power of music. The Faerie in Lament are a perfect blend of whimsical and dark and dangerous. Not entirely good or evil, the Faerie are of their own morality and are as elemental as nature itself and equally unpredictable. Lament is a compelling tale of the dark, yet beautiful lures of the Faerie world with the sweet innocence of a forbidden love.



Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie is Maggie Stiefvater's next novel set in this gripping world and is to be released on October 1, 2009. my birthday! : )




Check out the beautiful book trailer for Ballad, made by the incredibly talented Maggie Stiefvater. And I mean she "made" it in the truest sense of the word. She drew the "story boards", composed and performed the music, and compiled the video herself. I love this trailer. The music and the imagery is mesmerizing.




You can visit author Maggie Stiefvater at her website http://maggiestiefvater.com and at her blog http://m-stiefvater.livejournal.com/ or http://maggiestiefvater.blogspot.com/.




Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater is currently #3 on the NYT Bestseller list for children's fiction!

Shiver is Ms. Stiefvater's second full length novel, a romantic tale of a teenage girl and the wolf who has watched over her for years who changes to a boy with the change of seasons. Shiver hit bookshelves on August 1, 2009.





16 comments:

  1. This one does sound really good. I've seen Shiver. It sounds wonderful also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got Lament this week in the mail, looks very good. I loved Shiver too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy and Sarah, the book is really beautifully written. I instantly became a fan of Ms. Stiefvater's work.

    Anna, We just cross posted on each other's blogs about the same thing! LOL! I'm hoping to get Shiver asap. I just missed out on a great coupon opportunity at Borders, too. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading Lament right now so I didn't read your review but I'm loving it.

    Shiver was good but I'm liking Lament more!

    I'm expecting Ballad from the publisher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jessica, I'm so glad you're loving Lament, but not at all surprised. Isn't the writing just so inviting? I could barely put it down when I read it.

    That's so great that you're expecting Ballad from the publisher! I can barely stand the wait for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your review! I just bought Shiver. After I read it, I'll probably give this one try. Oh, might just get it anyways, I've heard so many people liked/loved this book and now you. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, great review Christine - thank you! I have Shiver on my TBR list, so I think I'll read that first and then see if my library purchases Shiver :)

    Oh, and the cover for Hush Hush is....WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok you've got me sold...and I don't normally read YA! Lately I've been reading all sorts of reviews and getting sucked into YA! lol

    Thanks for the review Christine, it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Christine. Great review. I have a couple of nieces who'll love this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS: I'll read it first. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You really did a great review. You put a lot into it. I have a faerie challenge. I should have known about "Lament."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear good things about this book and I would sure love to read it.
    Nice review

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, I didn't like Marr's Wicked Lovely and for some reason YA fairy-like titles have turned me off. I keep coming back to this one though and am really tempted to try it. And here you go tempting me all the more. Thanks for the review! I think I might have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Tea! Welcome to my blog. Lament would be a great read for a Fairie challenge. It's full of fascinating Faerie folklore.

    KMont: As much as I don't like to categorize authors like this, I would say that Lament is this blend of all that's great about Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr... and so much more! Maggie Stiefvater's story telling voice is beautiful, artistic, and smooth .... at the same time as it is contemporary and I don't know... hip in that typical teenage way.

    If that doesn't sell you, I don't know what will! ;)

    Thanks to everyone for reading my review. I hope y'all give Lament a try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely adored this book. I can't wait to pick up the second one. Great review by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]